Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Mark <ma...@xeric.net> on 2011/04/20 19:11:08 UTC

PR, SEO and nofollow

I noticed that the Tapestry website uses nofollow on all the external
links. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but I wanted to point out a
few thoughts about how it might be less than optimal from the
standpoint of spreading information about Tapestry.

When nofollow was first introduced the search engine optimization
benefit that wasn't passed to nofollow links was available for other
links.  So if you put nofollow on all external links it helped you
push more SEO value to your internal pages links that didn't use
nofollow.  This meant that adding nofollow to external links could
help your internal pages rank better.  This is no longer the case.
The seo value that would normally be assigned to external links is
simply lost when they are marked as nofollow.

So there is no advantage to http://tapestry.apache.org in marking each
external link with no follow. However, there is a significant
advantage to the Tapestry community by making Tapestry related
resources easier to find in search engines.  For example, if you do a
search for:

Tapestry 5 IDE

I'd expect to find at least the following pages in the first pages results:

1. Tapestry's pages and wiki articles talking about IDE integration and setup.
2. Jet  Brain's page about their Tapestry integration
3. The loom plugin

2 and 3 don't show up in the search results unless you dig down a few
pages into the results. It is much more likely they would show up on
the first page if the links on
http://tapestry.apache.org/community.html were not marked with
nofollow.

Another example is what you get when you just search for the word
Tapestry.  The top result is http://tapestry.apache.org.  This is
good, but if you look down the page, you'll see that all the other
results are all about fabric. This isn't too unexpected.but here is
basically how Google is thinking.  Google recognizes that Apache
Tapestry is the most important website for someone looking for the
word Tapestry. Then it looks to see what websites Apache Tapestry
considers important. All it finds is a bunch of links that Apache
Tapestry has flagged as "don't trust these, they might be spam".

Anyway, there is some food for thought.  There may be some reasons
that it needs to be this way, but I wanted to make sure we aren't just
doing something out of habit because it was beneficial 5 years ago
when it might be detrimental today.

Mark

Re: PR, SEO and nofollow

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Applied .replaceAll("rel=\"nofollow\"", "") in the right places, exported the site (live already at
https://cwiki.apache.org/TAPESTRY/, main website will pick up the change in an hour or so) and
committed the change to the autoexport template in svn.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark.

Uli

Re: PR, SEO and nofollow

Posted by Mark <ma...@xeric.net>.

Re: PR, SEO and nofollow

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Mark <ma...@xeric.net> wrote:
> Assuming this works, is there any reason NOT to do it. If there are no
> objections I'll see if I can find a way to test it and create a ticket for
> the change.
>
> The only downside I see is spam, but if I understand correctly, the
> confluence wiki requires a signed agreement before you can get write access,
> so the spam problem should be minimal.

Sounds like a plan ... do you have write access yet?

> Mark
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Mark <ma...@xeric.net> wrote:
>
>> The wiki itself is probably going to have to stay nofollow, but it might be
>> possible to tell the autoexport template (
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tapestry/tapestry-site/branches/post-5.2-site/autoexport_template.txt)
>> to do something like:
>>
>> $body.replaceAll("nofollow", "")
>>
>> or maybe
>>
>> $body.replaceAll("rel=\"nofollow\", "")
>>
>> That might not be the exact syntax needed, but it looks like replaceAll is
>> being used in the template already so I think something along these lines
>> has a good chance of working.
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, those are good points.  We're limited in that we use a shared
>>> instance of Confluence; those NOFOLLOW attributes are part of
>>> Confluence and even if that's configurable, I don't know that we can
>>> turn it off.

>>> results:

>>> setup.

>>> --
>>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>>
>>> Creator of Apache Tapestry
>>>
>>> The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to
>>> learn how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!
>>>
>>> (971) 678-5210
>>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: PR, SEO and nofollow

Posted by Mark <ma...@xeric.net>.

Re: PR, SEO and nofollow

Posted by Mark <ma...@xeric.net>.

Re: PR, SEO and nofollow

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, those are good points.  We're limited in that we use a shared
instance of Confluence; those NOFOLLOW attributes are part of
Confluence and even if that's configurable, I don't know that we can
turn it off.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Mark <ma...@xeric.net> wrote:
> I noticed that the Tapestry website uses nofollow on all the external
> links. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but I wanted to point out a
> few thoughts about how it might be less than optimal from the
> standpoint of spreading information about Tapestry.
>
> When nofollow was first introduced the search engine optimization
> benefit that wasn't passed to nofollow links was available for other
> links.  So if you put nofollow on all external links it helped you
> push more SEO value to your internal pages links that didn't use
> nofollow.  This meant that adding nofollow to external links could
> help your internal pages rank better.  This is no longer the case.
> The seo value that would normally be assigned to external links is
> simply lost when they are marked as nofollow.
>
> So there is no advantage to http://tapestry.apache.org in marking each
> external link with no follow. However, there is a significant
> advantage to the Tapestry community by making Tapestry related
> resources easier to find in search engines.  For example, if you do a
> search for:
>
> Tapestry 5 IDE
>
> I'd expect to find at least the following pages in the first pages results:
>
> 1. Tapestry's pages and wiki articles talking about IDE integration and setup.
> 2. Jet  Brain's page about their Tapestry integration
> 3. The loom plugin
>
> 2 and 3 don't show up in the search results unless you dig down a few
> pages into the results. It is much more likely they would show up on
> the first page if the links on
> http://tapestry.apache.org/community.html were not marked with
> nofollow.
>
> Another example is what you get when you just search for the word
> Tapestry.  The top result is http://tapestry.apache.org.  This is
> good, but if you look down the page, you'll see that all the other
> results are all about fabric. This isn't too unexpected.but here is
> basically how Google is thinking.  Google recognizes that Apache
> Tapestry is the most important website for someone looking for the
> word Tapestry. Then it looks to see what websites Apache Tapestry
> considers important. All it finds is a bunch of links that Apache
> Tapestry has flagged as "don't trust these, they might be spam".
>
> Anyway, there is some food for thought.  There may be some reasons
> that it needs to be this way, but I wanted to make sure we aren't just
> doing something out of habit because it was beneficial 5 years ago
> when it might be detrimental today.
>
> Mark

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry