Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by jbrookover <jb...@cast.org> on 2011/07/04 20:48:05 UTC

wicketstuff-push Documentation?

Hey all,

Just explored the wicketstuff-push examples.  Everything works great.

The only problem is that I'm overwhelmed with the code.  I'm new to
"pushing;" I had no idea what Comet was before yesterday.  I understand the
fundamentals of AjaxTimerBehavior polling, but push-timer and push-core go
way beyond that: channels, listeners, etc.

Question: Is there documentation beyond the GitHub Wiki and the
push-examples module?

If not, I'll just dive in the old fashioned way, but I was hoping to get a
better understanding before doing so.  In return, I'll try to put some
JavaDoc in the source as I start playing around.

Thanks!

Jake

Re: wicketstuff-push Documentation?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/wiki/Push

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM, jbrookover <jb...@cast.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just explored the wicketstuff-push examples.  Everything works great.
>
> The only problem is that I'm overwhelmed with the code.  I'm new to
> "pushing;" I had no idea what Comet was before yesterday.  I understand the
> fundamentals of AjaxTimerBehavior polling, but push-timer and push-core go
> way beyond that: channels, listeners, etc.
>
> Question: Is there documentation beyond the GitHub Wiki and the
> push-examples module?
>
> If not, I'll just dive in the old fashioned way, but I was hoping to get a
> better understanding before doing so.  In return, I'll try to put some
> JavaDoc in the source as I start playing around.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jake

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Re: wicketstuff-push Documentation?

Posted by jbrookover <jb...@cast.org>.
Sebastian-61 wrote:

> there is currently not any more documentation.
>
> When you use push as decribed in the WIKI (EventHandler+PushNode) then
> you will need an additional message dispatching service (which often is
> the case in enterprise environments). If you want to communicate within
> a wicket application only, e.g. between pages or users, than you can use
> the channel feature provided by push: you create a named messaging
> channel using IPushService.createChannel(<Name>), connect the node you
> installed into a component to that channel using
> IPushService.connectToChannel(<Node>,<Channel>) and send events to a
> channel using IPushService.publish(<Channel>, <Event>).

Thanks for the feedback.  We do intend to scale to multiple server nodes
but, thankfully, I have a year to figure out the messaging system.  For some
reason, your quick paragraph makes more sense than anything else I've read -
so, thanks!  As I explore, I'll see about adding some JavaDoc for the newbs.

Posted by Sebastian <no...@gmx.net>.
Hi Jake,

there is currently not any more documentation.

When you use push as decribed in the WIKI (EventHandler+PushNode) then
you will need an additional message dispatching service (which often is
the case in enterprise environments). If you want to communicate within
a wicket application only, e.g. between pages or users, than you can use
the channel feature provided by push: you create a named messaging
channel using IPushService.createChannel(<Name>), connect the node you
installed into a component to that channel using
IPushService.connectToChannel(<Node>,<Channel>) and send events to a
channel using IPushService.publish(<Channel>, <Event>).

Regards,

Seb