Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Magnús Skúlason <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/14 11:38:19 UTC

Configuring nutch to run on hadoop

Hi,

I have setup nutch to run on a Pseudo-Distributed hadoop cluster (i.e.
all running on one machine).

Everything works fine except that I only get two map and reduce tasks
to run at the same time, the machine that I am running on has 4 quad
core CPUs so I should benefit from running more tasks at a time.

in HADOOP_HOME/conf/mapred-site.xml I have set the following options:
<configuration>
     <property>
         <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
         <value>localhost:9001</value>
     </property>
     <property>
         <name>mapred.job.tracker.map.tasks.maximum</name>
         <value>4</value>
     </property>
     <property>
         <name>mapred.job.tracker.reduce.tasks.maximum</name>
         <value>4</value>
     </property>
     <property>
        <name>mapred.child.java.opts</name>
        <value>-Xmx512m</value>
     </property>
   <property>
     <name>mapred.map.tasks</name>
     <value>4</value>
  </property>
  <property>
     <name>mapred.reduce.tasks</name>
     <value>4</value>
  </property>

</configuration>

and I have restarted hadoop, but still it only spawns two map and
reduce tasks a time, are there some other parameters I should be
setting? should I maybe omit the .tasks.maximum parameters?

Another question regarding the setting:
        <name>mapred.child.java.opts</name>
        <value>-Xmx512m</value>
how many fetcher threads should I be able to run with this memory
setting, I have noticed that with a high fetcher thread setting
(fetcher.threads.fetch in nutch-site.xml) I get out of memory errors
in the fetching step. Is there any rule of thumb for the numbers of
threads per 100mb of memory?

best regards,
Magnus

Re: Configuring nutch to run on hadoop

Posted by Magnús Skúlason <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,

This solved the problem :) I must have picked up the other parameter
names from an outdated documentation or simply miss spelled them

best regards,
Magnus

Posted by Rafael Pappert <rp...@fwpsystems.com>.

Posted by Rafael Pappert <rp...@fwpsystems.com>.