Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com> on 2012/01/28 00:31:58 UTC

zookeeper build dependencies

All,

While building zookeeper from bigtop trunk I noticed the following.
zookeeper has dependency on ant rpm which in turn pulls open-jdk.

Since we are setting the tools environment by defining JAVA_HOME and
ANT_HOME shouldn't
the ant rpm dependency be removed from zookeeper and hence open-jdk ?

--
-Giri

Re: zookeeper build dependencies

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 01/27/2012 06:08 PM, Bruno Mahé wrote:
> On 01/27/2012 03:31 PM, Giridharan Kesavan wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> While building zookeeper from bigtop trunk I noticed the following.
>> zookeeper has dependency on ant rpm which in turn pulls open-jdk.
>>
>> Since we are setting the tools environment by defining JAVA_HOME and
>> ANT_HOME shouldn't
>> the ant rpm dependency be removed from zookeeper and hence open-jdk ?
>>
> Hi Giridharan,
>
> I understand your issue but we are actually going the other way for the
> following reasons:
> * We strive for a better integration with our supported GNU/Linux
> distributions
> * It makes it easier to set up a new build environment
> * We would have to provide more hacks for each dependency in each
> project. For instance in your case, you would have to edit Apache Bigtop
> (incubating) makefiles so it preserves ANT_HOME on debian/ubuntu.
> * Someone new to Apache Bigtop (incubating) wouldn't have to know in
> advance which dependency to install and from which package it comes
> from. The build system can tell which package is missing and even pull
> the build dependencies automatically.
>
> This outweigh the space taken by openjdk when not being used.
>
> We are aware some projects have some very creative requirements for
> their dependencies and in order to make it easier, we have started
> packaging dependencies in the public openSUSE OBS instance, when not
> available directly from a supported GNU/Linux distribution.
> It's still a work in progress but it has helped us a lot setting up our
> jenkins build slave.
>

> Thanks,
> Bruno
>

> Note: In the case of RHEL, if the devel channel is enabled, the jdk
> packaged by RHEL should be pulled instead of openjdk

I forgot to give the URL of the dependencies on the public openSUSE OBS
instance:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Abigtop

Please don't hesitate to pull that repository, request new dependencies
or even send some new dependencies.

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: zookeeper build dependencies