Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com> on 2005/09/29 19:47:35 UTC

[Fwd: Re: Assembly plugin -- couple of questions [m2a3]]

Hello there,

I was trying to do exactly what this email is explaining below and had
exactly the same problem now using M2b1 which is that m2 tries to run
the assembly plugin on each and every subproject.  If I want to generate
a single assembly file containing all sub projects and their
dependencies do I still have to go by creating another project that
depends on the subprojects??
Right now I am using the assembly plugin in this manner, having an extra
project that depends on the projects I need to include in the assembly.
The problem with this approach is that because the real projects are now
dependencies as apposed to artifacts I have no controll over where they
will be located in the final assembly file.. or I should say I have no
total control over theml I can move them around but as a dependency and
all the dependencies will go "bundled" with them. Is there a way to
specify location for individual dependencies in the assembly
descriptor?? Or maybe m2b1 has a way to tweek the way the assmbly plugin
is invoked.
Any hint will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
edovale

Posted by Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com>.
Either I am missing somethinghere or we have some bug hanging around.
I did what you suggested first and got this behaivor where the zip file
is created but no resources (dependencies and artifacts) from the
modules is added to it.
The modules are been iterated through and the jars for each one of them
is been created and everything but when the time for creating the
assembly comes, none of the modules dependecies/artifacts gets added to
the zip.
Perhaps I am missing something in the dependencySets. All I have there is:
    <dependencySets>
        <dependencySet>
            <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
        </dependencySet>
    </dependencySets>

I am assuming that this is enough as to have all the dependencies from
all the modules and the root project to be included in the lib folder
but apparently it is not.

Any hint at all??

Thanks

Erick.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: [Fwd: Re: Assembly plugin -- couple of questions [m2a3]]

Posted by Erick Dovale <er...@CAROSYS.COM>.
Hi Brett,
I finally got the assembly 2.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT to work this morning
after downloading the m2-beta-3. It seems to be working fine except for
the fact that it is not including the jars for the modules nor their
dependencies. Maybe I am missing something here:
At first it was complaining about not being able to find the bin.xml
file in the modules. I put a bin.xml just into each one of them
containing the dependecySets with the output directory set exactly as it
is in the bin.xml that I am pasting below and it started to work but, as
I said, without anything from the modules.

Here is my root pom symplified:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.carosys</groupId>
    <artifactId>jeeves</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <name>Jeeves Care</name>
    <organization>
        <name>Caro Sys</name>
        <url>http://www.carosys.com</url>
    </organization>
    <description>A system that is able to produce behaivoral trends as
well as point out certain health conditions out of the regular
activities of daily living of a person.</description>
    <developers>
       <!-- removed for simplicity -->
    </developers>
    <issueManagement>
       <!-- removed for simplicity -->
    </issueManagement>
    <ciManagement>
       <!-- removed for simplicity -->
    </ciManagement>
    <scm>
       <!-- removed for simplicity -->
    </scm>
    <modules>
        <module>jeeves-common</module>
        <module>jeeves-hub</module>
    </modules>
    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <version>2.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT</version>
                <configuration>
                    <descriptor>bin.xml</descriptor>
                    <finalName>jeeves-1.0-beta-1</finalName>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>junit</groupId>
            <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
            <version>3.8.1</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>log4j</groupId>
            <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
            <version>1.2.8</version>
            <type>jar</type>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
            <version>1.0.4</version>
            <type>jar</type>
            <exclusions>
       <!-- removed for simplicity -->
            </exclusions>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
    <repositories>
       <!-- removed for simplicity -->
    </repositories>
</project>

Here is the assembly descriptor.

<assembly>
    <id>bin</id>
    <formats>
        <format>zip</format>
    </formats>
    <fileSets>
        <fileSet>
            <includes>
                <include>README*</include>
                <include>LICENSE*</include>
                <include>NOTICE*</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <!-- Resources from jeeves-hub-->
            <directory>jeeves-hub/src/main/resources</directory>
            <outputDirectory>resources</outputDirectory>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <!-- service-wrapper from jeeves-hub-->
            <directory>jeeves-hub/service-wrapper</directory>
            <outputDirectory>service-wrapper</outputDirectory>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <!-- bat files from jeeves-hub-->
            <directory>jeeves-hub</directory>
            <outputDirectory>.</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>*.bat</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <!-- readme files from jeeves-hub-->
            <directory>jeeves-hub</directory>
            <outputDirectory>.</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>readme.*</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <!-- xml files from jeeves-common-->
            <directory>jeeves-common/src/main/resources</directory>
            <outputDirectory>resources</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>common.properties</include>
                <include>AlarmConfig.xml</include>
                <include>NewAlarmConfig.xml</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
    </fileSets>
    <dependencySets>
        <dependencySet>
            <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
        </dependencySet>
    </dependencySets>
</assembly>

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Tomorrow.

Posted by Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com>.
Hi Brett,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com>.
Thanks for your reply Brett, I have inlined some questions I hope you
can answer for me.

Brett Porter wrote:

>On 9/30/05, Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com> wrote:
>

>>I was trying to do exactly what this email is explaining below and had
>>exactly the same problem now using M2b1 which is that m2 tries to run
>>the assembly plugin on each and every subproject.
>>

>Thanks for the reminder. I just committed the missing tag on the
>assembly mojo so that it is an aggregator.

What is this tag? How do I get my hands on the latest commited code? Is
it already deployed to the repo?? I've been searching all over the place
looking for a class called:
org.apache.maven.plugins.assembly.model.Assembly which is te one that
gets instantiated out of the assembly descriptor but have been unable to
find it so far. Can you point me to it? I also took a look at

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 9/30/05, Erick Dovale <er...@carosys.com> wrote:
> I was trying to do exactly what this email is explaining below and had
> exactly the same problem now using M2b1 which is that m2 tries to run
> the assembly plugin on each and every subproject.

Thanks for the reminder. I just committed the missing tag on the
assembly mojo so that it is an aggregator. So it will run "package"