Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2021/07/02 15:19:17 UTC

Re: [Compress] Java 16 and 17-ea

On 2021-06-12, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Please have a look at the pack200 branch if you want, there are still
> Javadoc TODOs but it's all there.

Just so we get this into this list's archive properly: I've propsed a
few changes in https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/pull/210 but
completely leave it up to you whether you want to apply them or just
merge your branch as it is.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [Compress] Java 16 and 17-ea

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2021-07-03, Gary Gregory wrote:

> This is the approach I've taken: I merged the pack200 branch into
> master as is.

Thank you

      Stefan

Re: [Compress] Java 16 and 17-ea

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 11:19 AM Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2021-06-12, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > Please have a look at the pack200 branch if you want, there are still
> > Javadoc TODOs but it's all there.
>
> Just so we get this into this list's archive properly: I've propsed a
> few changes in https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/pull/210 but
> completely leave it up to you whether you want to apply them or just
> merge your branch as it is.

Thank you for the PR. This is the approach I've taken: I merged the
pack200 branch into master as is. That builds green. This allows us to
exercise the pack200 code now and on all builds. I think this will be
better in the long term because will find out sooner when the code
needs adjusting as opposed to when someone only runs on a Java version
that does not contain pack200; fail fast and all that. If others feel
strongly otherwise, then we can revisit PR 210 and make it build
green.

TY!
Gary