Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com> on 2005/01/23 04:07:45 UTC

[configuration] auto build fails

In downloads, the nightly build for configuration is 45 bytes.
.V
--
RiA-SoA w/JDNC <http://www.SandraSF.com> forums
- help develop a community

Re: [configuration] auto build fails

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 08:17:33PM -0800, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Well, there would be ... if someone wanted to take over the admin for
> the nightly builds themselves (preferably on an Apache box, instead of
> my desktop), and that someone wanted to go through and set up the
> scripts for the two kinds of projects, and then go resolve the
> inevitable failure cases.

It seems like you should try to coordinate with the Gump folks.  They have a
dedicated box for nightly builds (brutus.apache.org).  They should be able to
grant you (or any other committer) an account on the box if you ask nicely.

BTW, I thought Jakarta Commons was being built with gump?  -- justin

Re: [configuration] auto build fails

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:01:26 +1100, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the specific
> discussion in the mail archives and don't really remember a resolution.
>
> Is there a way to get nightly builds to use Maven if that is the build
> system the project is using? anything that I can do to help?

Well, there would be ... if someone wanted to take over the admin for
the nightly builds themselves (preferably on an Apache box, instead of
my desktop), and that someone wanted to go through and set up the
scripts for the two kinds of projects, and then go resolve the
inevitable failure cases.

My experience with running various Maven builds by hand is that they
have been at least as fragile as the Ant builds, and I just don't have
time to deal with both kinds.

In the mean time, a workaround is to use the Ant plugin to generate a
build.xml file, and then check that in.  This would give the current
nightly build script something that should work.

> Cheers,
> Brett

Craig

Re: [configuration] auto build fails

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de>.
I think the conf directory that we use to store our test files causes
the problems with the unit tests. I modified the build.xml to copy this
directory to the target dir and to include its content in the class path
for the tests. Now an "ant clean dist" should work, but at least for the
source distribution I am not sure whether the generated archievs will
really contain all necessary files.

The cleanest solution is probably to move the content of the conf
directory somewhere below the src tree (e.g. test-resources or something
like that). But this will have a major impact on many of our unit tests
and I doubt if this step would solve all our problems with the auto
generated build.xml script.

Oliver

Craig McClanahan wrote:

>The build is succeeding, but the unit tests (which are executed by the
>"dist" target of the generated build.xml file) are failing, which
>causes the entire build to fail.  Log file of running "ant clean dist"
>is attached.
>
>Craig
>

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:30:33 +0100, Oliver Heger
><Ol...@t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>I tried to regenerate the build.xml file using the latest version of the
>>maven ant plugin, but it still doesn't seem to work (the zips for the
>>binary distribution are still empty, the source distros look a bit
>>cleaner, at least they do not contain that strange absolute path any
>>more). Craig, can you send me some logs on what is happening? On my
>>local machine the build runs without errors.
>>
>>I also had a look at the build files of other components. I could not
>>recognize a common pattern. Are most of them created by hand?
>>
>>Tx
>>Oliver

[snip]

Re: [configuration] auto build fails