Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/12 11:37:03 UTC

rendering components outside a request

Hi,

I have a very specific need and I would like to gather some thoughts before
starting in a wrong direction. I need to render components in a thread which
is not related to an http request, but a basic server thread. Indeed I'm
starting to implement a new kind of pushing in wicket-contrib-push, and I
would like to take advantage of the component rendering techniques used in
AjaxRequestTarget, but I'm not sure if it's feasible to do that in a basic
thread, and where should I look.

I've seen that the request cycle can be set manually since recently [1], but
I would appreciate any thoughts on how this can be done properly.

Thanks in advance,

Xavier

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-366

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/

Re: rendering components outside a request

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Xavier Hanin:

> Interesting  idea. Using  WicketTester  for production  seems  a
> little bit strange, but why not if it makes it easy to do what I
> want. I will investigate more to see if it fits my need.

The only strange  thing about using WicketTester  in production is
its name, but  if you are outside  of an HTTP request  you need to
mock the  environment in one  way or  another, because in  the end
Wicket is "only"  meant to serve HTTP requests  in a sophisticated
way, it is not a general purpose template engine.

Cheers,
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: rendering components outside a request

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/12/07, Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether there is a feature request for this, but I can
> imagine Wicket to have a more obvious class for this and/ or some
> better abstraction. It seems to be quite a common question.

It would really be nice for me :-)
I'm not sure whether I'll have much time to investigate on this, for the
moment I'm using emulated push based on polling, and it fits my demo needs.
But to scale, I'll have to implement something else for which I'll need this
rendering feature. So if it evolves before I really dig into the
implementation, it could save me some time. Otherwise I'll make my hands
dirty, and maybe contribute feedback :-)

Xavier

Eelco

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.