Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2012/10/11 18:57:12 UTC

[WEBSITE] Download page for review on staging

Hi all,

I've committed some changes to the incubator.a.o/cloudstack downloads
page, which can be seen here on the staging site:

http://cloudstack.staging.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html

Any comments / concerns with the new structure of the page?

Two thoughts from me:

1 - Once we do a second ASF release, we'll add a link to the Apache
release archives in the "Older CloudStack Releases" section.

2 - Should we include the URLs (and instructions for how to configure)
for Wido's DEB repo?  And also the yet to be made RPM repo?  Wido,
obviously you get a veto on this.

-chip

Re: [WEBSITE] Download page for review on staging

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com> wrote:
> 404: http://www.apache.org/dist/dev/incubator/cloudstack/KEYS
> 404 for all the download links. Please check?

Sorry,  I forgot to mention that.

Those URL's will all 404 until we have an approved release, and I put
the files in place.  I just wanted to get the page ready ahead of
time, given that this is our first release.  The next time, we will
simply update the links.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 10/11/2012 11:06 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/11/2012 06:57 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've committed some changes to the incubator.a.o/cloudstack downloads
>>> page, which can be seen here on the staging site:
>>>
>>> http://cloudstack.staging.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html
>>>
>>> Any comments / concerns with the new structure of the page?
>>>
>>> Two thoughts from me:
>>>
>>> 1 - Once we do a second ASF release, we'll add a link to the Apache
>>> release archives in the "Older CloudStack Releases" section.
>>>
>>> 2 - Should we include the URLs (and instructions for how to configure)
>>> for Wido's DEB repo?  And also the yet to be made RPM repo?  Wido,
>>> obviously you get a veto on this.
>>>

>> Yes, I would do that. I'll put a README online at
>> http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/README with all the details on how to use it.
>>
>> I can update that so we don't need to update the website.
>>
>> Wido
>>

> Great!
>
> My other question would be, do you have a yum repo url in mind already
> (just not built yet)?  I could pre-stage the links to both repos and
> the readme file.

I still need to set up that Yum repo, my idea was to do that at the same
host. Didn't do it yet though.

Wido

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've committed some changes to the incubator.a.o/cloudstack downloads
>> page, which can be seen here on the staging site:
>>
>> http://cloudstack.staging.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html
>>
>> Any comments / concerns with the new structure of the page?
>>

> Looks great, Chip.
>
> You should probably link to the http and https versions of the Git
> repository.
>
> You can check out the code using the git command:
>

> git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cloudstack.git
>

> Committers should use the secure repository:
>

> git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cloudstack.git

Anonymous users can still clone from https, so no need to list http.
Only pushes require auth.

> Also, I would not link to the Citrix CloudStack Github repos. This page has
> various issues with it, as I have addressed in a previous thread that is
> still not resolved. Linking to it from this section only compounds those
> issues IMO.

I'll post a followup on this issue in that thread.

--David

Re: [WEBSITE] Download page for review on staging

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've committed some changes to the incubator.a.o/cloudstack downloads
> page, which can be seen here on the staging site:
>
> http://cloudstack.staging.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html
>
> Any comments / concerns with the new structure of the page?

Looks great, Chip.

You should probably link to the http and https versions of the Git
repository.

You can check out the code using the git command:

git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cloudstack.git

Committers should use the secure repository:

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cloudstack.git

Also, I would not link to the Citrix CloudStack Github repos. This page has
various issues with it, as I have addressed in a previous thread that is
still not resolved. Linking to it from this section only compounds those
issues IMO.

Two thoughts from me:

> 1 - Once we do a second ASF release, we'll add a link to the Apache
> release archives in the "Older CloudStack Releases" section.

Remember that we'll probably end up with various active release lines, so
the page has to support those. You could have a 5.0.x section, and a 4.0.x
section, for example. If they are active (i.e. we're still releasing minor
updates, bugfixes, then they both need to be prominantly displayed on this
page.) When we make them inactive, we simply remove them from this page,
and from the dist dir. At that point, we can add a link that takes you to
the archived dist dir, but it should be a low key text link at the bottom.

> 2 - Should we include the URLs (and instructions for how to configure)
> for Wido's DEB repo?  And also the yet to be made RPM repo?  Wido,
> obviously you get a veto on this.

Yep! But clearly marked out, for obvious reasons.

--
NS