Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Anson Lau <al...@fulfil-net.com> on 2004/07/21 05:00:28 UTC

speeding up lucene search

Hello guys,

What are some general techniques to make lucene search faster?

I'm thinking about splitting up the index.  My current index has approx 1.8
million documents (small documents) and index size is about 550MB.  Am I
likely to get much gain out of splitting it up and use a
multiparallelsearcher?

Most of my search queries search queries search on 5-10 fields.

Are there other things I should look at?

Thanks to all,
Anson

Re: speeding up lucene search

Posted by Byron Miller <by...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:13:32 +1000, Anson Lau <al...@fulfil-net.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried splitting up an index into smaller chunks, without putting
> the different indicies on a different physical disk/box?  What sort of
> performance gain do you get from it?

The best advantage to this would be to use multisearch and have each
segment on a seperate disk drive (even seperate controllers) to
distribute the IO load.

-byron

RE: speeding up lucene search

By splitting up a large index into smaller indicies, you are
linearizing the search time.
Furthermore, that allows you to make your search distributable.

-John

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
In general, yes.