Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/12 18:51:56 UTC

Kitty status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "April2012" by AlessandroNovarini)

Hi,

Thanks for the report, Kitty!

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> + In order to get graduated, Kitty needs the following features:
> + 1) The ability to save profiles of commonly connected to jmx servers including groups of tomcat servers
> + 2) The ability to collect metrics on an aggregate group of JMX servers

Note that neither of these is a graduation issue from the Incubator
perspective. What we're interested in is whether the community is
diverse and active, whether any IP issues have been cleared, and
whether the community follows the Apache way and our policies.

> + The community hasn't grown since the last report.

Do you have plans on how to grow the community, or are you happy with
the status quo? After 1.5 years in incubation I'd love to see Kitty
having a clear plan towards graduation. Could you come up with
something like that for your next report?

How active and diverse is the current community? From your report it
sounds like more project activity is needed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Kitty status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "April2012" by AlessandroNovarini)

Posted by ma...@matthewsacks.com.
IPMC since it was suggested by Jimjag.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
According to the mailing list, there hasn't been any coding activity for a
very long time.  Just about the only topic lately is about whether the
project is retirement fodder.  And even that can't get many people involved.

The only objection to retirement seems to be anxiety about whether a
retired project can be forked.  If the objector were to understand that any
Apache project can be forked at any time, it seems that there would be no
objection to retirement left.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi kitty-dev@,

[cc general@]

The IPMC is still waiting for the July report from Kitty.

Looking at the mailing list archive the only recent activity I see
discussion about possible retirement and a related vote that was just
started.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
>> + The community hasn't grown since the last report.
>
> Do you have plans on how to grow the community, or are you happy with
> the status quo? After 1.5 years in incubation I'd love to see Kitty
> having a clear plan towards graduation. Could you come up with
> something like that for your next report?

Without such a plan in place, and until there's at least some concrete
progress towards one, I can unfortunately only recommend that you move
forward with retiring the project.

I notice some people opposed the idea of retirement. That seems
promising - people still care about the project. But please follow up
with some concrete activity to justify the continued existence of the
project. A good starting point would be the mentioned report for July
(I can still fit it into the main Incubator report if it's in by
tomorrow evening) together with some concrete ideas on how the project
could be revived.

BR,

Jukka Zitting