Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2004/11/24 18:56:26 UTC

mod_perlservice? what the heck?

Did everyone see this on perl.com today?

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/11/18/mod_perlservice.html

I just skimmed it quickly, but I can't understand why this is not just a
simple mod_perl module, or even what it solves that XML-RPC didn't.  On
the face of it, writing a new embedded-Perl module for apache sounds
like a terrible idea, so I wonder if anyone knows what the story is
here.

- Perrin

Re: mod_perlservice? what the heck?

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:43:06 -0600
Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:40:44 -0600
> Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org> wrote:
>
> >   Another interesting thing is that it isn't specfically licensed
> >   under any Open Source license.  It just has a copyright for the
> >   author, all rights reserved.
>
>   Oops I stopped a GPL right after I sent that.  Instead of
>   being in COPYING or in main.c, it was in another file.

  Err that should be 'spotted' not 'stopped'.  I think my brain is
  shutting down early in preparation for tomorrow's feast. I'll quit
  posting before I truly embarrass myself.

Re: mod_perlservice? what the heck?

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Posted by Dan Brian <da...@brians.org>.
> Having spent time building lots of webapps with flash, and knowing
> many people who still do so and come from art school backgrounds,
> their system seems simple enough and tailored exactly for someone who
> doesn't know programming.

You need to know programming to use it. Perl, specifically.

> It seems to be an easily configurable and targeted (not limited)
> system for completing an often needed task.

So are existing standards like XML-RPC, with accompanying
implementations. And there are a handful of Flash libs for it, as well
as lots of tutorials for Flash developers not familiar with RPC.

Re: mod_perlservice? what the heck?

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@mastersofbranding.com>.
It makes a lot of sense to me

Having spent time building lots of webapps with flash, and knowing many
people who still do so and come from art school backgrounds, their
system seems simple enough and tailored exactly for someone who doesn't
know programming

It seems to be an easily configurable  and targeted (not limited)
system for completing an often needed task.

mod_perl would be more flexible, and php might make more sense, but
their syntax and instructions seem pretty much on key for the audience
that would use it

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Posted by Sam Tregar <sa...@tregar.com>.
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> Did everyone see this on perl.com today?
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/11/18/mod_perlservice.html
>
> I just skimmed it quickly, but I can't understand why this is not just a
> simple mod_perl module, or even what it solves that XML-RPC didn't.  On
> the face of it, writing a new embedded-Perl module for apache sounds
> like a terrible idea, so I wonder if anyone knows what the story is
> here.

Wow, that's not just reinventing the wheel, that's reinventing the
road too.  Even if you can somehow convince yourself that the world
needs yet another RPC mechanism, I can't understand why that would
require a new Apache Perl module.

But, uh, there's a Flash client library.  What the heck?

-sam