Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/20 17:05:47 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release

On 20/06/2008, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  This is the first release under the patronage of the ASF Incubator.
>
>  The community has voted on and approved a proposal to release 0.8.0-incubating.
>
>  Unfortunately, we did not have any votes or feedback from our mentors.
>
>  Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation Policy we would now like to
>  request the approval of the Incubator PMC to make the release.
>
>  Release proposal:
>
>   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-couchdb-dev/200806.mbox/%3c20080616232144.GA23300@bytesexual.org%3e

Assuming you are referring to the artefacts at:

http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/

1) there is only a tar.gz archive - it is normal to provide zip
archives as well.

2) the md5 and sha hash files have an unusual format; most automatic
hash checkers expect the hashes without embedded spaces.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 04:50:13PM +0100, sebb wrote:
> Lack of zip is signifcant, IMO.
>
> Hashes - not critical.

Can I alter the build to produce a zip, re-tag 0.8.0, and re-call the vote
directly on the general Incubator list?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 07:22:33AM -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> And in my opinion, the vote is for the primary release artifacts and I'm
> perfectly fine with actually changing the checksums and/or signatures
> while the vote is open. If there are any +1 votes on the previous
> (correct but improperly formatted) artifacts I'd still count them.

I think this makes sense. Are there any objections to me doing this now?

> What concerns me is the mentors who have not voted (maybe old news?)

Yes, this concerns me too. The only binding votes are from committers.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

> ...What concerns me is the mentors who have not voted...

Same here.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
With regard to the format, the CouchDB team should decide whether to
release in zip, tar, gz, or whatever format. Every community's user
base is different and my only requirement is that the release includes
sources in at least one format. Everything else is optional.

And in my opinion, the vote is for the primary release artifacts and
I'm perfectly fine with actually changing the checksums and/or
signatures while the vote is open. If there are any +1 votes on the
previous (correct but improperly formatted) artifacts I'd still count
them.

I've only looked at the .asc and .md5 checksums and they're ok (I
don't use an automated md5 verifier).

What concerns me is the mentors who have not voted (maybe old news?)

Craig

On Jun 22, 2008, at 5:44 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 04:26:50PM +0100, sebb wrote:
>> OK, in that case I agree, the Zip is not essential.
>
> Great stuff.
>
> As no one has voted yet, would there be any problem with me updating
> the format
> of the MD5 and SHA files now, while the vote is still open?
>
> --
> Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lack of zip is signifcant, IMO.

Personally, I think it's entirely up to the project to decide in which
formats they want to make their releases available. Do you really need
a zip, or are you asking for it just because of convention? Or more
generally (and mostly to couchdb-dev@), are there potential CouchDB
users who would be better served by a release in zip format?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/06/2008, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 04:05:47PM +0100, sebb wrote:
>  > Assuming you are referring to the artefacts at:
>  >
>  > http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/
>

> Yes, the artifacts are the same as in the original proposal.
>

>  > 1) there is only a tar.gz archive - it is normal to provide zip
>  > archives as well.
>

> I had missed this fact, providing a zip archive will be no problem.
>

>  > 2) the md5 and sha hash files have an unusual format; most automatic
>  > hash checkers expect the hashes without embedded spaces.
>

> I took the release signing from the following document:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html
>
>  Which states:
>
>   gpg --print-md MD5 [fileName] > [fileName].md5
>   gpg --print-md SHA1 [fileName] > [fileName].sha
>
>  I changed this slightly to:
>
>   gpg --print-md MD5 < [fileName] > [fileName].md5
>   gpg --print-md SHA1 < [fileName] > [fileName].sha
>
>  Are either of these the correct method to use?
>
>  Should md5sum and sha1sum be used instead? If this is the case I am guessing I
>  should propose a correction of the release signing documentation.
>
>  Are these issues significant enough to block the release?

Lack of zip is signifcant, IMO.

Hashes - not critical.

You could just use an editor to remove the spaces.

Or use
gpg --print-md SHA1 < [fileName] | sed -e's/ //g' > [fileName].sha

At least the data is all on one line, unlike some I have seen ...

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.