Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ycdtosa <yc...@eupla.unizar.es> on 2005/09/13 13:54:37 UTC

permision problems just after migrating from bdb to fsfs

Hi i'm working with svn 1.1.x on a RH7.x plataform, and i want ot update
to svn 1.2.x
because i 'need' to lock a few files :-).   At the same time i want to
make all my repos
of the same type (fsfs) so i figured this could be a two steps process:
------
 Step 1- Migrate the repository to fsfs (do not change any binary).
 Step 2- Since repo is compatible, upgrade the binaries.

-----
I never got to the second point :-(, and here is why i need help:

I just migrated a repository from BDB to fsfs format by means of the
following commands...

 > cd /path/to/repositories_root

#save the previous svnserver.conf file.
 > cp myrepo/conf/svnserver.conf previous.conf

#get the dump file
 > svnadmin dump myrepo > myrepo.dump
[...]

 > rm -rf myrepo

#create the new repo and load!
 > svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs myrepo
 > svnadmin load myrepo < myrepo.dump

#restore the config.
 > cp previous.conf myrepo/conf/svnserver.conf

It did seem to work, and i tested to checkout some files and it worked,
but now, when i try to commit i get the following error

(as read from tortoise, but it sure seems a server side error)

Error: Commit failed (details follow):
Error: Can't create directory
'/path/to/repositories_home/db/transactions/58-1.txn'
Error: Access Denied.
(well last line is in spanish and says:
    Error: Permiso denegado.
)

Ok. i get it is a permisions problem,
can some one point me to the right place to read what permisions should
i set.?

Thanks in advance.

--
ycdtosa.

Re: permision problems just after migrating from bdb to fsfs

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 13, 2005, at 15:54, ycdtosa wrote:

> Hi i'm working with svn 1.1.x on a RH7.x plataform, and i want ot
> update to svn 1.2.x
> because i 'need' to lock a few files :-).   At the same time i want
> to make all my repos
> of the same type (fsfs) so i figured this could be a two steps
> process:
> ------
> Step 1- Migrate the repository to fsfs (do not change any binary).
> Step 2- Since repo is compatible, upgrade the binaries.

[snip]

Subversion 1.2 introduces a better FSFS format. Although it's not
required to reload FSFS repositories when moving to 1.2, it provides
better performance, so it's a good idea. Therefore, it would be
better to:

1. Disable access to all repositories.
2. Using your 1.1.x binaries, dump all your existing repositories
into dump files.
3. Move the repository directories to a backup area.
4. Upgrade to 1.2.3.
5. Using the new 1.2.3 binaries, create new empty FSFS repositories
where the old ones were, and load the dump files into them.
6. Reenable access.

Re: permision problems just after migrating from bdb to fsfs

Posted by ycdtosa <yc...@eupla.unizar.es>.
Rachael Russell wrote:

> ycdtosa wrote:
>
>> Error: Commit failed (details follow):
>> Error: Can't create directory
>> '/path/to/repositories_home/db/transactions/58-1.txn'
>> Error: Access Denied.
>> (well last line is in spanish and says:
>>    Error: Permiso denegado.
>> )

[snip]

> I would double check you set myrepo directory to be owned by
> svn/apache/whoever is serving up your repository and they have the
> correct read/write permissions...

OK. i'll check about ownership, but in fact the question is:
which ones are the correct read/write permisions?
is there documentation about that on the book and i can't find it?

the user serving is svn
i just use the svn:// protocol throught svnserver via xinet.d
-