Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2000/10/12 18:42:44 UTC

Tomcat 3.2 proposal question

Hi All,

There was a request to add the binaries for missing connectors to the
rest in CVS.  My list of available binaries that could be added
are:

Re: Tomcat 3.2 proposal question

Posted by Thom May <th...@amxstudios.com>.
At some point around Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 10:29:58 -0700, cmanolache@yahoo.com said:
> > If the choice is to add them, my inclination is to add them
> > using "win32" as a directory name were appropriate, instead
> > of "nt4".  Does anyone have a strong objection, or should we
> > go for consistency with the existing directory naming?
Even tho my vote doesn't count, I'd give it a +150 or so!

> I would rather see all the binaries out of CVS -
> we can zip or tar.gz each file if downloading is a problem.
and -$INFINITY on this one... It's just more unecesary work,
which you can eliminate with the perfectly good system for
moving hunks of stuff from one machine to another, otherwise
known as CVS...

> It's a bit strange to require people to get the sources in
> order to find the binaries.
Wouldn't having the binaries in CVS mean they automatically get
included in a binary build?

I think this is by far the best way of proceeding - binary
builds of web server plugins is very painful from a SysAdmin's
point of view - esp for NT, where while you will have a JSDK to
enable JSP etc, there's no way you would have a copy of Visual
C++ or whatever to build the IIS connector...
The connectors, reallistically, are not so big that they will
degrade download times massively, but they are a highly useful
resource for the end user - esp a harried SysAdmin who has
better things to do than mucking around with C/C++ builds for
web modules.

My £0.02 :-)
-Thom

> ( but it's better to have them in CVS than to not have them at
> all :-)
>
> Costin

Thomas May
	Sys Admin, AMX Communications