Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Forbes <mo...@ozemail.com.au> on 2003/05/07 11:44:11 UTC

Configuring Tomcat 4.1.24 to work with Apache 2.0 with a proxy from port 80 to port 8080

To Whom It May Concern:

I do not believe I will be the first to try this but my scenario is the
following:

I am running Redhat Linux 8.0 behind a firewall acting as a web server.
I want to use Tomcat to serve my http requests as opposed to apache. I
have been searching the web and found that the most secure way to do
this is to run apache (on port 80) with some proxy settings and have the
requests proxy to a port which Tomcat is listening to (eg: 8082).

What I want to achieve is the following:

If someone plugs in the web address www.myaddress.com
<http://www.myaddress.com/> .au, I want to re-direct this request from
port 80 on my web server to http://
<http://%3chostname%3e:8082/myaddress> <hostname>:8082/myaddress in my
tomcat 'webapps' directory and have it appear is if it were still
www.myaddress.com.au

What are the settings I need in my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file to
achieve this redirection?
What are the settings I need in my ./tomcat/conf/server.xml file?

Thanks,

Michael Forbes.