Posted to users@flex.apache.org by leswoolsey <le...@rogers.com> on 2014/08/11 17:23:58 UTC

Help - trying to update Flash Builder 4.7 to flex 4.13

Help - I need to update to Flex 4.13 so I can submit my app to Apple but I
can't seem to do the update.
1. I tried the 4.13 installer.  I'm not sure what directory to specify but
it seems to require an empty directory so I just created a new directory
beside to old one (for now).  Then I select the required components and it
starts to work. But it fails with an error 2038 part way through.  No idea
why. I did look in the install log but it just said it had finished
unzipping a file and then reports the error 2038.

2. I tried to download the SDK binaries and replace the set in Flash Builder
from that. But when I open Flash Builder, it won't open my project. It comes
up with some errors about missing classes.  That jsut means it's missing
some pieces

I've googled and searched but all I can find are old instructions for how
top update Flash Builder to Adobe flex versions.  So that's not helpful.

If someone could PLEASE provide some instructions for how to update Flash
Builder 4.7 to Flex 4.13 (including what to download and from where), I
would be VERY greatful.

Thanks
Les

Re: Help - trying to update Flash Builder 4.7 to flex 4.13

Posted by leswoolsey <le...@rogers.com>.
As indicated the installer fails consistently.  However, assuming I get that
fixed at some point, how do I "set the new SDK in FB manually"?

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <an...@redtulp.com>.
Hi,
did you try to download the installer, install the new 4.13 on you dir, set
the new SDK in your FB manually?

http://flex.apache.org/installer.html

Let us know
Angelo

Posted by Saul Diaz <cr...@gmail.com>.
I got FB 4.7 with 4.13 without issues . Did yo tried to run the installed
with admin privileges?

Posted by leswoolsey <le...@rogers.com>.
Figured out how to add the SDk and then use it for the application.  Thanks
for your help!

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
That's there now, if someone wants to add the links to the installer's
last page.

Tom

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Nice!
BTW, I think were trying to avoid making it just about Flash Builder.
 Perhaps we can have anchor links to the other ones as well?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Nice!

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
On 8/13/14 1:04 AM, "Tom Chiverton" <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:

>A lot easier to just rewrite to say "your SDK version, such as '4.17' "
>isn't it ?
Sure, but as that gets stale it starts to look like it hasn't been
maintained.

>Then all we need to do is split the first Flash Builder section into
>'install SDK' and 'Do Builder Stuff' ?
>The installer can then use an anchor to jump to just after the install
>SDK steps ?
I'd be ok with that.

-Alex

Re: Help - trying to update Flash Builder 4.7 to flex 4.13

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Seems reasonable.  Might be nice to skip over the install steps they've
> already completed, otherwise it looks like a lot of work.

I think it is reasonable to assume that folks will skip over steps that
they have already completed :-)

> Also, this page still references 4.12.1.  I guess we have to remember to
> update this whenever we push a new release.  Is there a way to have a
> variable lookup in a cmsPage?

You can just use Javascript to update the strings as needed.  You can load
the version string from somewhere the installer config xml the page loads.
Similar to how the Installer badge works.

BTW, this wiki page lists all the pages to be updated when a release is
made [1] This task should be in our release checklist.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Updating+SDK+version+numbers+on+the+Website

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
Or maybe as a popup at the end of the installer ?
http://flex.apache.org/installer.html already has plenty of text on it.

Tom

On 11/08/14 19:03, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2014 10:58 AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> For FB for Windows, the steps should be:
>>
>> Windows Menu
>> Preferences
>> Flash Builder
>> Installed Flex SDKs
>> AddŠ
>>
>> Then it should be an option when creating new projects, or you can choose
>> it for existing projects via:
>> Project
>> Properties
>> Flex Compiler
>> Use a specific SDK
>>
> We should probably add this to the Installer page on our website.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>
>> HTH,
>> -Alex
>>
>> On 8/11/14 10:42 AM, "leswoolsey" <le...@rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the verbose log.  Looking at the file paths where the errors occur
>>> started me wondering whether the directory tree is too deep so I tried it
>>> at
>>> a new location and now it worked fine.  So now I have an installation,
> how
>>> do I make FB start to use it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Les
>>>
>>> Version 3.1.0 (windows)
>>> Using Locale: en_CA
>>> Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
>>> AIR version 14.0
>>> Flash Player version 14.0
>>> Creating Apache Flex home
>>> Creating temporary directory
>>> Downloading Apache Flex SDK from:
>>> http://apache.mirror.gtcomm.net/flex/4.13.0/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-4.13
> .
>>> 0-bin.zip
>>> downloading

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by leswoolsey <le...@rogers.com>.
[...]

Bit)\eclipse\plugins\com.adobe.flash.compiler_4.7.0.349722\newAIRSDK\frameworks\projects\air\Licensing\Android\Java\src\com\adobe\air\sampleextensions\android\licensing\AndroidLicensingExtension.java
Error #2038
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.7 (64
Bit)\eclipse\plugins\com.adobe.flash.compiler_4.7.0.349722\newAIRSDK\frameworks\projects\air\Licensing\Android\Java\src\com\adobe\air\sampleextensions\android\licensing\AndroidLicensingExtensionContext.java
Error #2038
Error #2038

Re: Help - trying to update Flash Builder 4.7 to flex 4.13

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Make sure you are using the latest installer (3.1).  The installer version
is listed in the log.

If you get error #2032 or #2038 that just means a download failed.  Try
again and see if it gets further.  You'll have to empty out the
destination folder before re-trying.

-Alex