Posted to users@jena.apache.org by "villa.va@libero.it" <vi...@libero.it> on 2012/03/30 10:22:28 UTC

Jena slow ontology population

Dear users,

I am new to Jena and have a problem with Jena OWL-API. I have written some
simple Java code that:

1) extracts some tuples (around 1 million tuples) of data from a database
2) puts each of them in an ontology file using Jena library. In particular, it
takes every tuple and inserts
every element in a class of the ontology file, by using methods like
createIndividual, addproperty, model.write.

The insertion phase is very quick when my program starts, but the performances
became worse and worse as
time goes by. The DB man has told me that the database has no problems. I have
run the program with 5 gigabytes
of RAM...it simply ends up to use them all. Is that normal? Do I have to use a
more powerful PC to manage such
data? I can give you more details about my problem if you tell me what I have
to look for exactly.

Thanks a lot,

Paola

Re: Jena slow ontology population

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
can you please be a bit more specific about the configuration you have
currently installed? e.g. version of Jena, back end type (TDB, SDB,
in-memory), current hardware, and OS (32bit, 64bit, linux,
windows,mac), and type of reasoner you use.

---
Marco Neumann
KONA

Join us at SemTech Biz in San Francisco June 3-7 2012 and save 15%
with the lotico community discount code 'STMN'
http://www.lotico.com/evt/SemTechSF2012/