Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Tom Burns <tr...@yahoo.com> on 2012/10/11 16:27:38 UTC

RFC on Roadmap for Deploying webhelp for OFBiz

All,

Jacques and I have been working for some time on
implementing a new help system for OFBiz based on the weblhelp component in docbook-xsl-1.77.1
(JIRA  OFBIZ-4941 )

For those who are interested there is a specification attached
to OFBIZ-4941 "OFBiz Help Spec.pdf" in the "helppdf.zip"
and a demo implementation at:
https://ec2-23-20-150-243.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8443/humanres/control/main

Jacques has upgraded the trunk content in applications/content/template/docbook,
which was a subset of  docbook-xsl, to the
latest release docbook-xsl-1.77.1 that contains the webhelp component.

The following steps will complete the deployment:
1. Add content to a new folder applications/content/data/helpdata/docbookhelp
2. Add customizations to applications/content/template/docbook/webhelp
3. Modify framework/images/webapp/images/fieldlookup.js and header
files in the themes folders.

The solution transforms docbook files and deploys a website for each component documented
in the docbookhelp folder using the ant build file in applications/content/template/docbook/webhelp/build.xml.

The design does not integrate the webhelp build.xml with the OFBiz global-build system.
My preference is to distribute the webhelp web-sites pre-built so help
works OOTB.

If changes are made then it is the responsibility of the
help developer to run webhlep ant task as needed. The basic change path would be to
make a change to a docbook file then run an ant task. The web site is updated with
out requiring a server restart.

I have committed to doing an "as is" migration of
the current help information and providing how to wiki files for authors and
developers after the initial implementation. To date humanres, accounting,
projectmgr, manufacturing_en  and manufacturing_nl
have been migrated. Help content not migrated will work as before.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or
reservations about completing the deployment as described.

Cheers,

Tom

Re: RFC on Roadmap for Deploying webhelp for OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Tom Burns wrote:
> All,
>
> Jacques and I have been working for some time on
> implementing a new help system for OFBiz based on the weblhelp component in docbook-xsl-1.77.1
> (JIRA OFBIZ-4941 )
>
> For those who are interested there is a specification attached
> to OFBIZ-4941 "OFBiz Help Spec.pdf" in the "helppdf.zip"
> and a demo implementation at:
> https://ec2-23-20-150-243.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8443/humanres/control/main
>
> Jacques has upgraded the trunk content in applications/content/template/docbook,
> which was a subset of docbook-xsl, to the
> latest release docbook-xsl-1.77.1 that contains the webhelp component.
>
> The following steps will complete the deployment:
> 1. Add content to a new folder applications/content/data/helpdata/docbookhelp
> 2. Add customizations to applications/content/template/docbook/webhelp
> 3. Modify framework/images/webapp/images/fieldlookup.js and header
> files in the themes folders.
>
> The solution transforms docbook files and deploys a website for each component documented
> in the docbookhelp folder using the ant build file in applications/content/template/docbook/webhelp/build.xml.
>
> The design does not integrate the webhelp build.xml with the OFBiz global-build system.
> My preference is to distribute the webhelp web-sites pre-built so help
> works OOTB.

Of course, I second Tom on this choice.
See our discussion about it at the bottom of the related Jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4941?focusedCommentId=13473308&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13473308

Jacques

Re: AW: RFC on Roadmap for Deploying webhelp for OFBiz

Posted by Tom Burns <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Carsten,

There is not enough content in the remaining
published documentation to warrant developing a migration script. It is
simple enough to cut a paste from the current presentation into a
docbook book file. I have volunteered to do this and will do it for your
 current work.

The way it is set up now, in the proposed
implementation new vs. old content are filtered at the component level
in the themes header files. Since there is an en and nl version of the
manufacturing component (MRP?) anyone requesting help for manufacturing
would be directed to logic in fieldlookup.js. It would look for a new de
 version of manufacturing help and would not find it. The user would
then be alerted that it is not available and directed to the English
default version (bottom line your work would not be seen).

This
logic
 could be altered to support a finer grained filter in themes header
file but my intent is to support all of the current help files in the
new system which will remove the need for any filtering in the header
files (all request will be passed to a lookup_help function in
fieldlookup.js for processing.)

In the case of help for the
Catalog component (product), themes header files would not find an new
implementation and pass the request on to the existing help system.

If
 you create an issue in JIRA and upload the work you have done I will
migrate it to docbook book format and make the necessary changes to the
build so that it can be published using the new format.

Going
forward you would just make changes to the docbook file, run the an ant
task and your change would be immediately available.

Tom

I have recently spent quite some time to start up on a de-version of help with a focus on MRP and Catalog.
Are you guys planning to run a migration script? Will the input remain as is today?

Carsten

Gesendet mit BlackBerry® Webmail von Telekom Deutschland

Posted by c....@gmail.com.