Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Hurragutt <hu...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/28 10:07:41 UTC

Implementing Temporal Property (or Temporal Object) using JPA?

Hi.
Have anyone tried to implement Martin Fowlers Temporal Property
(http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaDev/TemporalProperty.html) pattern
using JPA?

Or Temporal Object (http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaDev/TemporalObject.html
)?

Sincerely,
Paul Nyheim

Re: Implementing Temporal Property (or Temporal Object) using JPA?

Posted by Yuri <yd...@gmail.com>.
Coming late in the game here, but this is a topic I am very interested in:
adding temporality to JPA (I actually just posted to the main users list,
but I think I should have posted here first)

I spent some time looking at extending hibernate to add a few annotations
that would allow one to specify temporal classes, properties and/or
collections and a set of JQL query extensions to be able to query sequenced
data. However, there are some assumptions in Hibernate's design (posted
there too hoping someone would correct me) that seem to preclude a clean
extension (I dont want to stray to far away from the original code base).
Based on what I am thinking, updating an entity, for instance, doesnt
necessarily translate into an update but the combination of a update and
insert. I also need to extend the db metadata to add the temporal columns
where needed.

Before I start getting my fingers dirty I figure I may ask the list for some
words of wisdom about such endeavor. Also, is there any documentation,
thread that could get me quicker to the touch points?

thanks in advance,
-- yuri

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: Implementing Temporal Property (or Temporal Object) using JPA?

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Paul-