Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Majid Azimi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/16 10:41:00 UTC

Is Programming Pig book outdated?

Hi guys,

this is not really a question. I want to know is this book
(Programming Pig)<http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Pig-Alan-Gates/dp/1449302645/>outdated?
The book says it is based on 0.8 with some additions from
0.9(because at time of releasing book 0.9 has not been released). Now Pig
is in version 1.0. Is there any massive changes in these versions? Can this
book be a good resource for learning Pig?

Re: Is Programming Pig book outdated?

Posted by Robert Yerex <ro...@civitaslearning.com>.
It is a bit dated but an excellent resource for learning Pig. We give each
new data engineer a copy! Probably the biggest change from my point of view
is the use of JSONStorage() now built in at 0.10 so one does not need to
wrangle with a custom loader. When I started a couple years back, the only
loader I could get to work with JSON was the one that Alan presents in this
book. Without that I would have pulled out the rest of my remaining hairs!

Robert Yerex
Data Scientist
Civitas Learning

--