Posted to dev@joshua.apache.org by kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/21 22:29:33 UTC

Dockerhub hosted images

Hey all,  I've got two quick questions about the language packs + Dockerhub.

First of all, would anyone be opposed to host Dockerized version of the
language packs on Dockerhub?  I'd like to post them largely for deployment
convenience (and also for the free bandwidth).

My second question is related to the user experience when launching a
language-pack based container.  What I'd like to do is to run the http
server w/ the REST API, but also to serve the demo page via the same server
so that clients can connect and immediately play with it.  Is there some
way to serve the demo page via the http server now that I'm missing?  Is
this a potential improvement I could look into?

Here's a link to the first image I've been playing with, es-en.
https://hub.docker.com/r/kellens/apache-joshua-es-en-2016-10-05/

-Kellen

Re: Dockerhub hosted images

Posted by kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com>.
Ok, the first image should be properly uploaded now.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:09 PM, <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah sorry, the upload keeps failing for some reason.  I’m trying again
> now.
>

> -Kellen

RE: Dockerhub hosted images

Posted by ke...@gmail.com.

Re: Dockerhub hosted images

Posted by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu>.

Re: Dockerhub hosted images

Posted by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu>.

Re: Dockerhub hosted images

Posted by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu>.
> On Nov 21, 2016, at 5:29 PM, kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all,  I've got two quick questions about the language packs + Dockerhub.
>
> First of all, would anyone be opposed to host Dockerized version of the
> language packs on Dockerhub?  I'd like to post them largely for deployment
> convenience (and also for the free bandwidth).

This is a great idea that I support!

> My second question is related to the user experience when launching a
> language-pack based container.  What I'd like to do is to run the http
> server w/ the REST API, but also to serve the demo page via the same server
> so that clients can connect and immediately play with it.  Is there some
> way to serve the demo page via the http server now that I'm missing?  Is
> this a potential improvement I could look into?

The demo page is loaded client-side and uses direct AJAX queries to connect to the Joshua server. So no web serving is needed. I think it'd be better to have a version of the code that connects to Joshua on the server side, but I don't think I'll have time to do this. If anyone has suggestions for the best way (e.g., tools) to approach this, maybe I could.

One thing about the REST API (which I will document soon, maybe tonight) is that it receives only a single request at a time. So it's going to be slower than a direct TCP socket. Should we extend the REST API to receive an arbitrary number of translations?

> Here's a link to the first image I've been playing with, es-en.
> https://hub.docker.com/r/kellens/apache-joshua-es-en-2016-10-05/

Awesome, I'll look later tonight.