Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Wojciech Nowak <ma...@pythonic.ninja> on 2015/12/28 01:23:24 UTC

Python Driver Contribution Idea

Dear Drill developers,

Recently I was trying to use Drill from Python through ODBC interface based on blog post from https://www.mapr.com/blog/using-drill-programmatically-python-r-and-perl It worked as expected, but what struck to me was that It’s a lot of hassle to configure it.

That’s why based on Your site under Contribution Ideas (https://drill.apache.org/docs/apache-drill-contribution-ideas/) I decided to create simpler solution for Python community.

My Contribution would have two phases:
client/driver for interacting with Drill
dsl which will provide a easier and idiomatic way to write and manipulate queries using defined query set expressions.

1.
Similarly to official client for Elastic Search (https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-py) I would like to use Rest-Api of Drill for which i found documentation under https://drill.apache.org/docs/rest-api/
sketch of usage:
https://gist.github.com/PythonicNinja/9b4952b6cbc17572c7db#file-pydrill-py

questions:
1.1 I was wondering if Python driver for Drill could be based on Rest-Api, do you see any problems?
1.2 Do you have any ideas or suggestions for that project?

2.
It would be separate package from driver, you can install as an optional package via command:
pip install pydrill-dsl
so that it would have separate releases from 1 package.
It would enhance way of interacting with Drill via query set like expressions.
sketch of usage:
https://gist.github.com/PythonicNinja/9b4952b6cbc17572c7db#file-pydrill_dsl-py

questions:
2.1 Should it be separated from Python Drill Driver package?
2.2 Do you have any ideas or suggestions for that project?

This contribution would be part of my Master Thesis, so any ideas are welcome. My thesis supervisor suggested to contact You to get Drill core developers perspective.

I would be very grateful if You could provide me with your thoughts.

kind regards,
Wojtek Nowak