Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by zunrise <de...@artkontrast.de> on 2009/09/24 15:03:57 UTC

Problems with cpu load and io

Hi,

I have a question about performance of ActiveMQ. I use a persistent storage
configured like this:

        <persistenceAdapter>
            <amqPersistenceAdapter syncOnWrite="true"
directory="${activemq.base}/data" maxFileLength="20 mb"
cleanupInterval="30000"/>
        </persistenceAdapter>

My problem is that after the system is running for a while (e.g. 1 week with
only sending a small amount of messages) the kr-store became bigger and
bigger. In the Journal folder their was an file of 20MB filesize. The IO
rate was constantly ~ 5MB. The CPU usage of the broker was constantly near
30%. After stopping the broker and deleting the data folder (including
kr-store, journal and data), The CPU usage was ~1% and IO rate was
constantly 10 KB. So how do I have to setup my system, that the store will
clean automatically, after a period of time. I thought this would do the
parameter 'cleanupInterval="30000"' but it doesn't work. I'm using ActiveMQ
5.2.0. I would be really happy if someone could help me with my problem.

Regards

Re: Problems with cpu load and io

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Use the kahaDB persistence adaptor in 5.3-SNAPSHOT - the release is
coming soon
On 24 Sep 2009, at 14:03, zunrise wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about performance of ActiveMQ. I use a persistent
> storage
> configured like this:
>
>        <persistenceAdapter>
>            <amqPersistenceAdapter syncOnWrite="true"
> directory="${activemq.base}/data" maxFileLength="20 mb"
> cleanupInterval="30000"/>
>        </persistenceAdapter>
>
> My problem is that after the system is running for a while (e.g. 1
> week with
> only sending a small amount of messages) the kr-store became bigger
> and
> bigger. In the Journal folder their was an file of 20MB filesize.
> The IO
> rate was constantly ~ 5MB. The CPU usage of the broker was
> constantly near
> 30%. After stopping the broker and deleting the data folder (including
> kr-store, journal and data), The CPU usage was ~1% and IO rate was
> constantly 10 KB. So how do I have to setup my system, that the
> store will
> clean automatically, after a period of time. I thought this would do
> the
> parameter 'cleanupInterval="30000"' but it doesn't work. I'm using
> ActiveMQ
> 5.2.0. I would be really happy if someone could help me with my
> problem.
>
> Regards

Rob Davies
http://twitter.com/rajdavies