Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Hunt <rh...@hp.com> on 2003/11/25 17:13:57 UTC

Repository performance-- Was: Re: bdb log files

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 09:34  AM, Scott Moynes wrote:

> * Lele Gaifax (lele@nautilus.homeip.net) wrote:
>> "hei! I'm going to load a backup, don't bother keeping all those log
>> files, use as many you need, but *reuse* them!"
>
> You can tweak the set_lg_max parameter in the repository's DB_CONFIG
> file.

Does anyone have experience changing this setting?? Will increasing the
max size of the log files improve performance on checkins of extremely
large files.. i.e. 1-5GB per file?

-Ryan

Re: Repository performance-- Was: Re: bdb log files

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.
Ryan Hunt wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 09:34  AM, Scott Moynes wrote:
>
>> * Lele Gaifax (lele@nautilus.homeip.net) wrote:
>>
>>> "hei! I'm going to load a backup, don't bother keeping all those log
>>> files, use as many you need, but *reuse* them!"
>>

>> You can tweak the set_lg_max parameter in the repository's DB_CONFIG
>> file.
>

> Does anyone have experience changing this setting?? Will increasing
> the max size of the log files improve performance on checkins of
> extremely large files.. i.e. 1-5GB per file?

I've played with set_lg_max and set_lg_bsize in the past and not seen
much of a performance improvement.  Some of the inefficiences that
affected this have been taken care of since I've last benchmarked this,
so you might have different results.

Increasing set_lg_max tends to help with large operations because it
doesn't make several thousand log files in one commit, but outside of
any OS file system slowdown from having too many files in a directory I
didn't notice any other difference.

Increasing set_lg_bsize seems to help large workloads more than
set_lg_max, but when I was testing this stuff, some of Subversion
inefficencies were limiting performance so adjusting this didn't help
me.  As I mentioned before, some of these issues have been remedied
since then so perhaps playing with set_lg_bsize is a nice performance
gain again.

Note that you will have to increase set_lg_max if you want to increase
set_lg_bsize.

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/env_set_lg_bsize.html