Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/18 11:05:13 UTC

Message cleanup, next step...

  Hi guys,

now that most of the work is done for the message merge, I have a question :
- should we keep the message interfaces in a separate package ?

Atm, all the message implementation are in
org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message, while their associated
interfaces are in org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message.internal.
(btw, the 'internal' term is probably misleading : it was meant as
'internal to the server', when we had 3 different kind of messages)

Back two years ago, we had a different layout where the messages and
their interfaces where in the same package
(org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message) :

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/tags/0.9.13/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/message/

I suggest we move back to this layout, if no one object.

wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Message cleanup, next step...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/18/10 2:13 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> I suggest we move back to this layout, if no one object.
>>> wdyt ?
> +1 on separate packages:
>
> o.a.d.s.l.message for interfaces sounds right at top level then maybe
> a o.a.d.s.l.message.implementation or perhaps o.a.d.s.l.message.default ?
> But message interfaces should be at the higher level package with the
> implementors below.

Hmmmm. I would *love* to do that, sadly, there is a constraint : as many
of the technical fields and methods used during the encoding are now
methods without a qualifier (ie, they are not public, protected or
private, they are package protected), if I move the classes away, I will
have to expose those methods again, or cast the object everytime I want
to access to those methods all over the code :/

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Re: Message cleanup, next step...

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys,
>
> now that most of the work is done for the message merge, I have a question :
> - should we keep the message interfaces in a separate package ?
>
> Atm, all the message implementation are in
> org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message, while their associated interfaces
> are in org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message.internal.
> (btw, the 'internal' term is probably misleading : it was meant as 'internal
> to the server', when we had 3 different kind of messages)
>
> Back two years ago, we had a different layout where the messages and their
> interfaces where in the same package
> (org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message) :
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/tags/0.9.13/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/message/
>

> I suggest we move back to this layout, if no one object.
>
> wdyt ?
+1 (ignore what I have said on IRC ;)

> --
> Regards,