Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/19 10:32:58 UTC

[all] dev@ traffic

Hi all

apart from dev@ and user@ we've got three lists that have been created
for specific notifications that people may be interested in or not:
issues, commits and notifications. My MUA is configured to merge those
three with dev so I didn't really notice we are getting more messages
(and for most people more noise) to dev than I would have expected.

JIRA seems to be set up to send to issues@ for all components, and the
git and svn commit messages of components go to commits@ while svn
commit messages for the website go to notifications@.

Things are different between components for at least

* github integration (some components like Compress send mails to dev,
  others like Numbers send them to notifications)

* CI messages (at least Compress uses dev for Jenkins mails)

IMHO neither should go to dev@ and using notifications@ seems more
logical to me. I'm going to change this for Compress and would likt to
ask other components to check their settings as well so we can raise the
signal ratio for dev@ again.

Stefan

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by Simon Spero <se...@gmail.com>.

On 2017-06-19, Simon Spero wrote:

with all parenteses properly nested, wow ;-)

No need to apologize, really.

(apply #'append '((not) (a problem)))

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-06-19, Simon Spero wrote:

> (this was prompted by me interrupting a quasi-appropriate JIRA
> meta-discussion about JIRA workflow & permissions (on an issue I had opened
> because I encountered it whilst working another issue, and had fixed but
> not PRed, which Stefan then also fixed)  to further apologize to Stefan for
> not replying to an email from him (on dev)  that I'd missed because of
> coveralls) .

with all parenteses properly nested, wow ;-)

No need to apologize, really.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by Simon Spero <se...@gmail.com>.
(this was prompted by me interrupting a quasi-appropriate JIRA
meta-discussion about JIRA workflow & permissions (on an issue I had opened
because I encountered it whilst working another issue, and had fixed but
not PRed, which Stefan then also fixed)  to further apologize to Stefan for
not replying to an email from him (on dev)  that I'd missed because of
coveralls) .

So +1.
Also, I need to reply to that email :)

Simon

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 June 2017 at 14:19, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 19/06/2017 à 12:32, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>
>> IMHO neither should go to dev@ and using notifications@ seems more
>> logical to me. I'm going to change this for Compress and would likt to
>> ask other components to check their settings as well so we can raise the
>> signal ratio for dev@ again.
>
> +1 for redirecting Jenkins to notifications@

I've done all the ones I could find

I agree about PRs, but JIRA should continue to go to issues@ (as at present)

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 19/06/2017 à 15:41, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

> those two should go to the same list even if its "issues"?

Yes, sorry for the ambiguity.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-06-19, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 19/06/2017 à 12:32, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

>> IMHO neither should go to dev@ and using notifications@ seems more
>> logical to me. I'm going to change this for Compress and would likt to
>> ask other components to check their settings as well so we can raise the
>> signal ratio for dev@ again.

> +1 for redirecting Jenkins to notifications@

> GitHub PRs and JIRA should target the same list.

the same "notifications" list or those two should go to the same list
even if its "issues"?

Stefan

Re: [all] dev@ traffic

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.