Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1997/03/14 03:55:50 UTC

Re: bug stuff

>We need to clean up this bug email vs. bug database stuff... 'cause Rob is
>forwarding far more messages than I want to summarize in our little status
>updates.  I think the debate is over... we've shown that Alexei's desire
>that email updates and reports still occur is met.  The GNATS thing seems
>to work fine for me, I find it a lot easier to talk about PR#xxx than a
>message id.

+1

>Is it just a matter of rewriting www.apache.org/bug_report.html ?

I think it will also require a pass through the distribution files to
replace references to the e-mail address with reference to the bug-form
first, and only use the e-mail address is they are unable to access
the bug-form.  While we are at it, it should be referred to as the
problem report form, or suggestion box, since people send us feature
requests through the same interface.

....Roy

Re: bug stuff

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I don't think an Apache mailing list would hurt because:
>
> 	1. it would give the illusion of better support
> 	2. you tend to have more people step up and take a
> 	   better supporting "answer dumb questions" role
> 	   on mailing lists.
> 	3. It would provide a better bridge between the user community and
> 	   the development effort.  This is a big thing and I think is
> 	   important.  There are a lot of people who could help Apache
> 	   development a lot, but they get lost.  A public
> 	   apache-development list could help I guess.

Few people could cope with the mail bandwidth this'd consume. The great
thing about usenet is you can jump in and out as time permits.

I tried subscribing to the questions list for FreeBSD. It was a nightmare.
This will be far worse because the userbase is MUCH bigger.

Re: bug stuff

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > We could direct them to an apache-users mailing list... one exists already
> > doesn't it?  Of course it is nice to hear the queries sometimes 'cause
> > they show bugs or difficulties in our config language.  I'm particularly
> > amazed when I get configs forwarded to me and I see how people actually
> > use this stuff... in ways that I'd never dreamed of ;)
>
> I thought we always had relied upon comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix as being
> the "Apache support forum"?  It would just eat bandwidth alive as a mailing
> list.

There used to be an apache-users mailing list.  Lesee...
apache-users@trytel.com; long dead now.  That was well before my time
(err... my time of having a clue that is, which isn't very long ago at
all...).

I don't think an Apache mailing list would hurt because:

	1. it would give the illusion of better support
	2. you tend to have more people step up and take a
	   better supporting "answer dumb questions" role
	   on mailing lists.
	3. It would provide a better bridge between the user community and
	   the development effort.  This is a big thing and I think is
	   important.  There are a lot of people who could help Apache
	   development a lot, but they get lost.  A public
	   apache-development list could help I guess.

I could probably host one here without any problems if resources are an
issue...

Re: bug stuff

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> We could direct them to an apache-users mailing list... one exists already
> doesn't it?  Of course it is nice to hear the queries sometimes 'cause
> they show bugs or difficulties in our config language.  I'm particularly
> amazed when I get configs forwarded to me and I see how people actually
> use this stuff... in ways that I'd never dreamed of ;)

I thought we always had relied upon comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix as being
the "Apache support forum"?  It would just eat bandwidth alive as a mailing
list.

	Brian

Re: bug stuff

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
We could direct them to an apache-users mailing list... one exists already
doesn't it?  Of course it is nice to hear the queries sometimes 'cause
they show bugs or difficulties in our config language.  I'm particularly
amazed when I get configs forwarded to me and I see how people actually
use this stuff... in ways that I'd never dreamed of ;)

Dean

Re: bug stuff

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.