Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Bruno Harbulot <Br...@manchester.ac.uk> on 2009/05/05 14:07:17 UTC

Providing external jar file as part of a larger project

Hello,

Is there a way to provide a jar file that is not available in a Maven
repository as part of a multi-module project?

For example, if in a multi-module project
(groupId=example,artifactId=exampleroot), a sub-module
(groupId=example,artifactId=mainapp) depends on a jar that's not
available in any repository -- the dependency being expressed as
(groupId=example,artifactId=extlib), it's possible to resolve this
dependency using "mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=example
-DartifactId=extlib ..." beforehand.

However, I wonder if there would be a way to provide this jar within a
sub-module, without having to use "mvn install:install-file" manually,
so that "mvn clean package" works from the top of the multi-module
project directly.

The structure would be like this:

|-- pom.xml       (groupId=example,artifactId=exampleroot)
|-- mainapp
     |-- pom.xml   (groupId=example,artifactId=mainapp)
     |-- src
|-- extlib
     |-- pom.xml   (groupId=example,artifactId=extlib)
     |-- lib
         |-- extlib.jar

One way to solve this could be to unjar extlib.jar into
extlib/target/classes during its 'compile' phase, but this doesn't seem
very clean. Any better solution?

Best wishes,

Bruno.