Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> on 2006/06/14 19:46:58 UTC

page plugins cleanup

i'd like to do some cleanup work on the page plugins system to simplify
it a bit and more importantly to make one necessary change to support
pluggable view/rendering technologies.  here's what i'd like to do ...

1. change PagePlugin to WeblogEntryPlugin.  this just seems a little
more descriptive and identifies the fact that these plugins are applied
to entries.  this is also important if moving forward we want to support
various kinds of plugins, not just entry plugins.

2. change the init method to init(Website, Map).  the old init method
had some params which aren't really needed and also passed in a
VelocityContext object.  the new system needs to support pluggable
rendering technologies, so we'll use a Map instead of a VelocityContext.

3. remove render(Entry, String) and render(String) and replace them with
just render(Entry).  i don't think we need 2 forms of the render() method.

4. remove getSkipOnSingleEntry() method.  i think the readmore plugin
was the only one that used this and that plugin has basically been EOLed
now.

5. add a new getPriority() method which returns an int.  this is to give
plugins a chance to specify what order they think they should be
rendered in.

thoughts/comments/objections?

-- Allen

Re: page plugins cleanup

Posted by Dave Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/06, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
> i'd like to do some cleanup work on the page plugins system to simplify
> it a bit and more importantly to make one necessary change to support
> pluggable view/rendering technologies.  here's what i'd like to do ...

+1 to all of those changes.

- Dave