Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/21 21:40:05 UTC

Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

I need to get rid of a gazillion little .svn directories in my (very
large) project. Does anyone know of a Windows command to do it?

del *.svn* /S /F

does not work. I cannot figure out why.

Re: Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

Posted by Josh Blair <jo...@gmail.com>.
Aren't those folders and files hidden and read-only?

Maybe try the /A:H switch or /A:HR

Or maybe try to remove the hidden and read-only attributes on that tree
recursively before trying to delete.  Have you tried rmdir /s /q too?

Also, is the project structure still in a subversion repository?  If so, you
can run the 'svn export' which will give you a clean project structure.

Hope that helps,

--
Josh Blair
Golden, CO

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
How about power shell?

dir -Recurse | where { $_.Name -eq '.svn' -and $_.Mode -eq 'd----' } |
Remove-item -Recurse

Br,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Posted by "M. Rohrmoser" <mr...@gmx.de>.
Hi Chris,
maybe the find and rm commands from http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ can help you.

$ find . -name ".svn" | xargs rm -rf

Greetings,

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jared Hardy <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/07, Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> del *.svn* /S /F
>
> does not work. I cannot figure out why.

I ran into the same problem, where I wanted to keep unversioned and
modified files locally, in the same path, and did not have TortoiseSVN
installed. This worked for me:

dir /s /b C:\Base\Path\*.svn > temp.txt
for /f %1 in (temp.txt) do (rmdir /s /q %1)
del temp.txt

After that I copied an .svn folder associated with empty
svn://server/repo/NULL to C:\Base\Path\, to keep future updates from
causing trouble. This was WinXP SP2. I'm not sure how well 'for'
commands do in other versions. Arnauld Van Muysewinkel's idea of
installing the Gnu Win tools, or MinGWin package, is another good idea
-- xargs comes in very handy, and both cp an rm are much better
behaved than [x]copy and del.

:) Jred

Re: Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Nope, doesn't work

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <ry...@macports.org>.
On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:40, Chris wrote:

> I need to get rid of a gazillion little .svn directories in my
> (very large) project. Does anyone know of a Windows command to do it?
>
> del *.svn* /S /F
>
> does not work. I cannot figure out why.

Does "svn export" not work?

Re: Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

Posted by Arnauld Van Muysewinkel <ar...@gmail.com>.
> On 6/21/07, Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I need to get rid of a gazillion little .svn directories in my (very
> > large) project. Does anyone know of a Windows command to do it?
> >
> > del *.svn* /S /F
> >
> > does not work. I cannot figure out why.

Or install GnuWin32 packages.

Then : >find . -type d -name .svn -exec rm -r {} ^;

--
Ir. Arnauld Van Muysewinkel

Re: Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

Posted by Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>.
Another option would be to use TortoiseSVN right drag the top folder to another directory and select svn export all, and it will copy all the files except the ones in the .svn folders.  It will also copy unversioned files.

Russ
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

> I need to get rid of a gazillion little .svn directories in my (very
> large) project. Does anyone know of a Windows command to do it?
>
> del *.svn* /S /F
>
> does not work. I cannot figure out why.

Windows, or Windows command prompt?

Re: Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I need to get rid of a gazillion little .svn directories in my (very
>> large) project. Does anyone know of a Windows command to do it?
>>
>> del *.svn* /S /F
>>
>> does not work. I cannot figure out why.
>
> Windows, or Windows command prompt?
>
>  From Explorer (make sure you're set to show hidden files), go to the
> upper-most directory level you want to remove the directories from,
> hit Ctrl+F, and search All files  and folders, put in .svn as the
> filename to look for, click Advanced and make sure the first 3 are
> selected (Search system folders, Search hidden files & folders, Search
> subfolders). Sort the results by size so that the directories are all
> grouped, select them, and delete.

Thanks. That worked.

Never did figure out how to get the command line stuff to work.

Re: Windows command to delete all .svn dirs

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.