Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Yashasree <ya...@tatainfotech.com> on 2001/06/06 05:44:55 UTC

Invoking Apache soap web services from browser client

Hi All

Does anyone know how to invoke a web service deployed on Apache SOAP from a client browser. The samples that are available illustrate the usage thru a java client only. How should the message be sent so as to make the apache soap router understand the request sent from a client browser. The browser client that i am looking at does not use applets, but only pure HTML/XML.
Apache SOAP does not seem to give any API which we could use through the browser. Even the Apache Javascript requires some kind of installation on the client side for it to work.

Help please !!!

Thanks
Yash

Re: Invoking Apache soap web services from browser client

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
At 09:14 AM 6/6/2001 +0530, Yashasree wrote:
>Hi All
>
>Does anyone know how to invoke a web service deployed on Apache SOAP from a client browser. The samples that are available illustrate the usage thru a java client only. How should the message be sent so as to make the apache soap router understand the request sent from a client browser. The browser client that i am looking at does not use applets, but only pure HTML/XML.
>Apache SOAP does not seem to give any API which we could use through the browser. Even the Apache Javascript requires some kind of installation on the client side for it to work.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a FAQ, but here's an answer I sent to
a previous message whose subject header was
   "How do I use my browser as a SOAP client?"

If you can count on JScript (or VBScript) with MSXML, the approach in
   http://www.architag.com/events/GetFile.html?show=getWeather.htm
seems to work fine calling on Apache SOAP, although I did set
   xmlhttp.setRequestHeader("SOAPAction", "''")
   xmlhttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "text/xml; charset=iso-8859-1")

If you're using Mozilla, look at http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/ and
report back what you find because I haven't used that yet :-)

As an alternative that "works" fine even with lesser browsers, you can
(I did) construct a "PassAlong.jsp" such that
   PassAlong.jsp?router=XXXX&envelope=YYYYY
  (where XXXX is presumably something like
    http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
   and YYYY is the actual SOAP envelope, constructed in JavaScript
     or typed into a textarea)
will construct the SOAP headers, open the connection, receive the result
from the rpcrouter and pass it back to the client browser; better, at
times, is to add a third parameter, xsl=ZZZZ, and use that to select
an XSLT stylesheet for serverside processing of the SOAP result. I'm
not sure how interesting this is, but the technique is not difficult.
Does one of these address your problems?

Tom Myers

Re: Invoking Apache soap web services from browser client

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.