Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Stéphane Mor <st...@yahoo.fr> on 2003/02/06 14:28:34 UTC

[OT] Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:02:00PM -0800, Costin Manolache wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> >> I am not very happy with the maven layout - which includes only jars.
> >> If this is aproved - I would like it to require a layout that supports
> >> all project components. I assume ( hope ) that part of this project
> >> will be an effort to convert jakarta projects to this layout, and also
> >> make the necesary changes to gump to generate output for the repository.
> >
> > Actually, this is only the *initial* codebase. We decided to follow the
> > Maven layout to minimize duplication, but it will evolve/change in any
> > way deemed best. We want the result and an active community round it,
> > not the code (specifically, not necessarily /that/ code).
>
> I don't care too much about the code either - but more about a layout
> that supports both jars and docs and support files.
>
> Tomcat does this using standard ant tasks ( get, tar, zip, etc )
> on the original distribution - and I think this should continue to work.
> What I think is important is to get the projects generate output and
> releases in this layout and into the repository.
>
> I recently switched to gentoo linux - and the "portage" system is just
> wonderfull. I plan to try to get gump generate emerge files and get
> it to work for jakarta projects - I think this should work too ( i.e.
> the portage system should be able to download the sources from a standard
> location and format ).

I agree on that: Gentoo portage dependency mechanism *is* great.
They are about to implement dependency inheritance, and I think we have a lot to
learn from the Gentoo guys (and a lot to give them too).
I was thinking to make a maven plugin to generate ebuilds (project descriptors),
but the portage tree is frozen until the next release, so I guess it's not the
right time !

Moreover, the advantage of Java in this case is that we can distribute binaries,
which reduces the installation time from centuries to minutes. My tests with
an ebuild for Maven were quite promising (that was before the big Jelly/Maven
mess). Of course we can still use sources, to see the tests running and stuff.
(A sort of binary/source switch would be great, but this is completely
off-topic!)

Cheers,
Stéphane

Re: [OT] Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
A great Idea!  I look forward to seeing you on the ruper(or whatever it ends
up being named) list!