Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2013/05/24 09:23:58 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Dear ASF members,

We would like to propose BeanShell for the incubator.

The proposal draft is available at:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal,
follows below the proposal

Open is open for at least 72h and closes approximately on May 27th at 8:20am GMT

[ ] +1 accept BeanShell in the Incubator
[ ] +/-0
[ ] -1 because (provide a reason)

Many thanks in advance, all the best!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

= BeanShell =
== Abstract ==
The following proposal is about BeanShell, see JSR-274: The BeanShell
Scripting Language implementation.

== Proposal ==
BeanShell is a small, free, embeddable Java source interpreter with
object scripting language features, written in Java. BeanShell
dynamically executes standard Java syntax and extends it with common
scripting conveniences such as loose types, commands, and method
closures like those in Perl and JavaScript.
Users can use BeanShell interactively for Java experimentation and
debugging as well as to extend your applications in new ways.
Scripting Java lends itself to a wide variety of applications
including rapid prototyping, user scripting extension, rules engines,
configuration, testing, dynamic deployment, embedded systems, and even
Java education.
BeanShell is small and embeddable, so users can call BeanShell from
Java applications to execute Java code dynamically at run-time or to
provide extensibility in applications. Alternatively, users can use
standalone BeanShell scripts to manipulate Java applications; working
with Java objects and APIs dynamically. Since BeanShell is written in
Java and runs in the same VM as application, users can freely pass
references to "live" objects into scripts and return them as results.

== Background ==
BeanShell is a long living project born in the 2000 thanks to Patrick
Niemeyer initial effort, who is still maintaining the project, with
the help of Daniel Leuck and contributions voluntarily sent by users.

== Rationale ==
Currently there are no projects hosted by the ASF focused on providing
JSR-274 implementation, moving the existing BeanShell project under
the Apache umbrella would mean the ASF provides the JSR-274 reference
implementation.

= Current Status =
== Meritocracy ==
The historical BeanShell team believes in meritocracy and always acted
as a community. Mailing list, open issue tracker and other
communication channels have always been adopted since its first
release. The adoption in a larger community, such as Apache, is the
natural evolution for BeanShell. Moreover, the Apache standards will
enforce the existing BeanShell community practices and will be a
foundation for future committers involvement.

== Core Developers ==
In alphabetical order:

 * Daniel Leuck <dan at ikayzo dot com>,
 * Patrick Niemeyer <pat at ikayzo dot com>
 * Pedro Giffuni <pfg at apache dot org>
 * Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi at apache dot org>

== Alignment ==
Main aim of the project is to develop and maintain a fully flavored
JSR-274 implementation that can be used by other Apache projects that
need a Java  Scripting Language.

= Known Risks =
== Orphaned Products ==
The increasing number of BeanShell adopters and the raising interest
for the JSR-274 technology let us believe that there is a minimal risk
for this work to being abandoned from the community.

Moreover, BeanShell has been already used by the following projects for years:

 * Apache OpenOffice
 * Apache Maven
 * Apache JMeter

== Inexperience with Open Source ==
All of the committers have experience working in one or more open
source projects inside and outside ASF.

== Homogeneous Developers ==
The list of initial committers are geographically distributed across
the world with no one company being associated with a majority of the
developers.  Many of these initial developers are experienced Apache
committers already  and all are experienced with working in
distributed development communities.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
To the best of our knowledge, none of the initial committers are being
paid to develop code for this project. BeanShell has already proven
its capability to attract external developers.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
A number of existing ASF projects already benefit from BeanShell
implementation, including Apache OpenOffice, Apache Maven and Apache
JMeter. It is hoped that members of those projects will be interested
in contributing to and adopting this implementation.

== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
Even if the BeanShell community recognizes the power and the
attractiveness  of the ASF brand, we are absolutely aware of our
already established role in the wide JSR-274 community. Furthermore,
we are convinced that we can enthusiastically bring inside the ASF new
and fresh energies in order to improve our visions, insights and
knowledge about the other  projects and, most important, to have the
possibility of enlarge our small  community with talented and
passionate developers.

= Documentation =
BeanShell Documentation

 1. BeanShell Project Homepage <http://www.BeanShell.org/>

 2. Beanshell code hosted at Apache Extra
<http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/beanshell>

BeanShell Related Specifications

 1. JSR 274: The BeanShell Scripting Language
<http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=274/>

= Initial Source =
The intial source comprises code developed on ikayzo.org
<http://ikayzo.org/svn/BeanShell/> licensed under the Dual Licensing
Sun Public License / Gnu Lesser Public License but the project had
been relicensed under the Apache License v2.0 in Apache Extra
repository (contributed under Grant from Patrick Niemeyer for
BeanShell).

= Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan =
Source code will be moved from Apache Extra
<https://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/beanshell> space inside
the SVN space of the podling.

= External Dependencies =
BeanShell has no external dependencies.

= Cryptography =
The project does not handle cryptography in any way.

= Required Resources =
 * Mailing lists
  * beanshell-private (with moderated subscriptions)
  * beanshell-dev
  * beanshell-user
  * beanshell-commits
 * Subversion directory
  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/beanshell
 * Website
  * Confluence (BEANSHELL)
 * Issue Tracking
  * JIRA (BEANSHELL)

= Initial Committers =
Names of initial committers - in alphabetical order - with current ASF status:

 * Daniel Leuck <dan at ikayzo dot com> (ICLA to be signed)
 * Patrick Niemeyer <pat at ikayzo dot com> (ICLA signed)
 * Pedro Giffuni <pfg at apache dot org> (Committer)
 * Peter Jodeleit <pejobo70 at gmail dot com> (ICLA signed)
 * Simone Gianni <simoneg at apache dot org> (Member)
 * Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi at apache dot org> (Member)
 * Sebastian Bazley <sebb at apache dot org> (Member)

= Sponsors =
== Champion ==
 * Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi at apache dot org> (Member)

== Nominated Mentors ==
 * Sebastian Bazley <sebb at apache dot org> (Member)
 * Mohammad Nour <mnour at apache dot org> (Member)
 * Dave Fisher <wave at apache dot org> (Member)

== Sponsoring Entity ==
 * Commons PMC <http://markmail.org/message/onzqybikzchvvvxv>

= Other interested people (in alphabetical order) =
 * Andrea Pescetti <pescetti at apache dot org> (Committer)

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
+ 1 (binding)

Suresh

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1 - binding

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

On Friday, May 24, 2013, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> [...]
>  * Patrick Niemeyer <pat at ikayzo dot com> (ICLA signed)
>  * Pedro Giffuni <pfg at apache dot org> (Committer)
>  * Peter Jodeleit <pejobo70 at gmail dot com> (ICLA signed)
>  * Simone Gianni <simoneg at apache dot org> (Member)
>  * Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi at apache dot org> (Member)
>  * Sebastian Bazley <sebb at apache dot org> (Member)
>
> = Sponsors =
> == Champion ==
>  * Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi at apache dot org> (Member)
>
> == Nominated Mentors ==
>  * Sebastian Bazley <sebb at apache dot org> (Member)
>  * Mohammad Nour <mnour at apache dot org> (Member)
>  * Dave Fisher <wave at apache dot org> (Member)
>
> == Sponsoring Entity ==
>  * Commons PMC <http://markmail.org/message/onzqybikzchvvvxv>
>
> = Other interested people (in alphabetical order) =
>  * Andrea Pescetti <pescetti at apache dot org> (Committer)

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos or brevity.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
+1 (non-binding)

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
+1 (binding)

Regards, Ate

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 09:23:58AM +0200, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Dear ASF members,
>
> We would like to propose BeanShell for the incubator.
>
> The proposal draft is available at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal,
> follows below the proposal
>
> Open is open for at least 72h and closes approximately on May 27th at 8:20am GMT
>
> [ ] +1 accept BeanShell in the Incubator
> [ ] +/-0
> [ ] -1 because (provide a reason)
>
> Many thanks in advance, all the best!
> -Simo

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/05/2013 Simone Tripodi wrote:
> open for at least 72h and closes approximately on May 27th at 8:20am GMT
> [ ] +1 accept BeanShell in the Incubator
> [ ] ±0
> [ ] -1 because (provide a reason)

+1 accept BeanShell in the Incubator (non-binding)

Andrea

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 05/27/2013 06:37 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On May 27, 2013, at 2:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ...Half the committers are ASF
>>> members so they know what they're doing already, we're not going to teach
>>> Sebb anything new about doing releases...
>>
>> Indeed ;-)
>>
>>> ...All thats needed is a software grant and IP clearance (which from the
>>> previous discuss thread has already been done?) and start up right away in
>>> Commons...
>>
>> Makes sense, I agree with you that the Incubator doesn't bring any
>> more value in this case...has the commons PMC been asked about this
>> option?
>>
>> I'm changing my vote to -1, at least until this is clarified.
>

> So, what do we do?  Rather than complete this vote that I believe that we have consensus doesn't need to take place, should Simone simply start a graduation vote?  I think Subversion was in the same boat but I don't recall what we did there.
>

> Regards,
> Alan

Subversion went to their own PMC instead of becoming part of an existing
PMC. That is one of the key differences here.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Simone Tripodi
<si...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I am FWD'ing the discussion to dev@commons to evaluate BS joins
> Commons directly in the Sandbox....

Cool - as Ant said, if the group who's bringing this bunch of code to
Commons is willing to take full responsibility for bringing it in a
state that's releasable by Commons, I don't see what the Incubator
would bring.

-Bertrand

(and BTW I'm not sure if you want to use BS as the abbreviated
name...I don't think people here will think of "Basel Stadt" ;-)

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut Bertrand, hi Ant,

>> ...Half the committers are ASF
>> members so they know what they're doing already, we're not going to teach
>> Sebb anything new about doing releases...

the story so far is that at the time of bringing OGNL to Apache
Commons - exactly similar situation, all ASF people + a couple of new
committers - we had to pass through the incubator, bringing the new
codebase in a status that can be moved to Commons then request for
graduation.
Given that precedent, I didn't see any reason why I should have opted
for a different path rather than the Incubator :)

>> ...All thats needed is a software grant and IP clearance (which from the
>> previous discuss thread has already been done?) and start up right away in
>> Commons...
>
> Makes sense, I agree with you that the Incubator doesn't bring any
> more value in this case...has the commons PMC been asked about this
> option?

No, that option has not been discussed, given the past OGNL experience
I didn't even think about that. I just called for a VOTE to sponsor
BeanShell.

I am FWD'ing the discussion to dev@commons to evaluate BS joins
Commons directly in the Sandbox.

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks, all the best!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Its good that we can help keep BeanShell going by bring it to the ASF, but
my vote here is -1.

There was some discussion on this proposal back in April and one of the
last emails there was this one saying:

"If the intention is to have Beanshell become a part of Apache Commons then
the IPMC feels that Apache Commons should do the work there."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201304.mbox/%3CCAAqLGLPwaqgtje3PWieVcPHtgub7GWC5LnazKdrUxpnwsGNLvw@mail.gmail.com%3E

There was no further discussion that i can see after that until this vote
now.

It seems pointless to me to incubate this. Half the committers are ASF
members so they know what they're doing already, we're not going to teach
Sebb anything new about doing releases, and the intention is to become a
sub project of the commons PMC so that PMC is going to be able to provide
any additional oversight that may be needed.

All thats needed is a software grant and IP clearance (which from the
previous discuss thread has already been done?) and start up right away in
Commons.

What is it that we're going to do here at the Incubator with this? What
value are we going to add?

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Simo,
>
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Simone Tripodi
> <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...We would like to propose BeanShell for the incubator....
>
> Sorry if I missed a previous discussion - is the name ok for us?
>
> Looking at http://www.beanshell.org/ and
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=274 the name BeanShell is used by
> other entities, so we might not be able to use it as a project name
> without an explicit trademark donation.

I think its exactly the beanshell.org project which comes to us
and the jsr also refers to beanshell.org. Basically I expect Patrick
Niemeyer would donate
the trademark, as he is the founder of the project  and coming with
the project to the ASF

If this is not the case it would be good if Patrick would comment to
avoid unnecessary infra work

Cheers

Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Simo,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 May 2013 08:23, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear ASF members,
>
> We would like to propose BeanShell for the incubator.
>
> The proposal draft is available at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal,
> follows below the proposal
>
> Open is open for at least 72h and closes approximately on May 27th at 8:20am GMT
>
> [ ] +1 accept BeanShell in the Incubator
> [X] +/-0

I am +1 with the general proposal, but see specific items below.

> [...]
> The intial source comprises code developed on ikayzo.org
> <http://ikayzo.org/svn/BeanShell/> licensed under the Dual Licensing
> Sun Public License / Gnu Lesser Public License but the project had
> been relicensed under the Apache License v2.0 in Apache Extra
> repository (contributed under Grant from Patrick Niemeyer for
> BeanShell).
>
> = Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan =
> Source code will be moved from Apache Extra
> <https://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/beanshell> space inside
> the SVN space of the podling.
>
> = External Dependencies =
> BeanShell has no external dependencies.
>
> = Cryptography =
> The project does not handle cryptography in any way.
>
> = Required Resources =
>  * Mailing lists
>   * beanshell-private (with moderated subscriptions)

I don't think we need a user list for the Incubation phase, and
Commons already has a user list (assuming it graduates).

>   * beanshell-commits
>  * Subversion directory
>   * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/beanshell
>  * Website
>   * Confluence (BEANSHELL)

Other Commons components don't use Confluence.
I don't think it's a good idea to use a completely different tool.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
+1 (binding)

Ralph

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
+1.  Binding.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, May 24, 2013, at 02:23 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Dear ASF members,
>
> We would like to propose BeanShell for the incubator.
>
> The proposal draft is available at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal,
> follows below the proposal
>
> Open is open for at least 72h and closes approximately on May 27th at
> 8:20am GMT
>
> [ ] +1 accept BeanShell in the Incubator
> [ ] +/-0
> [ ] -1 because (provide a reason)

+1 (binding)

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: [VOTE] Accept Apache BeanShell in the Incubator

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
+1 (binding)

Ralph

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.