Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> on 2004/10/07 06:57:25 UTC

New tutorial on tapestry

Hi,

In learning and promoting Tapestry, I've written a tutorial
on Tapestry:

http://www2.cpttm.org.mo/cyberlab/softdev/tapestry/tutorial1/GettingStartedWithTapestry.html

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

ps, the use of getListeners() and implicit components are
not introduced on purpose at this stage.

--
Kent Tong, Msc, MCSE, SCJP, CCSA, Delphi Certified
Manager of IT Dept, CPTTM

Re: New tutorial on tapestry

Posted by Shawn Church <sh...@boxity.com>.
Kent,

I like the step-by-step approach you've taken, but as Howard mentioned
it could use some rounding out.  Also, the xml and java code might be
more readable with some reasonable indents (I personally prefer
methods, braces, try/catch, etc. each to appear on a new line).

During your initial discussion of required software, it might be worth
mentioning your reasons for choosing Eclipse (eg. open source and
Spindle plugin), in favor of other IDEs such as IntelliJ IDEA.  It
would be handy to have a Spindle plugin for IDEA, but I nonetheless
strongly prefer IDEA over Eclipse.

Keep up the good work,
Shawn

Re: New tutorial on tapestry

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Nice start.  I like the detail with which you go over use of Spindle,
and making Tomcat load from the workspace.

Nitpick:  you use an InsertText component --- that's for displaying
multi-line text (it inserts <p> or <br>).  Use an Insert component ...
and add a formatter to get proper numeric output, rather than 50
digits of precision.

Also, the document seems to end rather suddenly.  The basic rule is:
tell people what you will show them, show it to them, tell them what
you just showed them.  Take the time to say not just what you are
doing, but why its a good idea.  For example, running from the
workspace speeds up development because you don't have to keep
bundling and redploying the app.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:57:25 +0800, Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In learning and promoting Tapestry, I've written a tutorial
> on Tapestry:
>
> http://www2.cpttm.org.mo/cyberlab/softdev/tapestry/tutorial1/GettingStartedWithTapestry.html
>
> Please let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ps, the use of getListeners() and implicit components are
> not introduced on purpose at this stage.
>
> --
> Kent Tong, Msc, MCSE, SCJP, CCSA, Delphi Certified
> Manager of IT Dept, CPTTM
> Authorized training for Borland, Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, RedFlag & RedHat

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: New tutorial on tapestry

Posted by Markus Markert <em...@markus-markert.de>.
hi,

nice workshop, but could you please send me or upload your sourcecode,
so that i could import the project and can rebuild it.

greetings

markus