Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu> on 2005/10/04 19:42:14 UTC

Problems Getting Mod Perl To Work on Windows

I have Apache I downloaded from apache.org.  I got the ppm for mod_perl
from the binary distribution site mentioned on the apache help page.  I
installed it using ppm (active state).  And when I add the following line

PerlModune Apache2

My Apache wont start up.  I tried to carefully follow every direction on
the apache site, does anyone have any ideas where I might look?

The error it gives me is :
The Apache2 service terminated with service-specific error 1.

Thanks
Troy

Re: Problems Getting Mod Perl To Work on Windows

Posted by Kenny Gatdula <ke...@pobox.com>.
Troy Bull wrote:
> I have Apache I downloaded from apache.org.  I got the ppm for mod_perl
> from the binary distribution site mentioned on the apache help page.  I
> installed it using ppm (active state).  And when I add the following line
>
> PerlModune Apache2
>
> My Apache wont start up.  I tried to carefully follow every direction on
> the apache site, does anyone have any ideas where I might look?
>
> The error it gives me is :
> The Apache2 service terminated with service-specific error 1.
>
> Thanks
> Troy

If you're looking to get a apache and perl setup on win32, I highly
recommend using the binary package that Randy Kobes distributes. He's
even provided a script to fetch the files.
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/distinstall

Kenny

Re: Problems Getting Mod Perl To Work on Windows

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:00:42 -0500
Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu> wrote:

> I removed that line and it started up.  And when I ran my test script
> at the following location
>
> /ir/test.pl
>
> (this script echos out the envronment variables)  I get the following
> output  It was my understanding that GATEWAY_INTERFACE should say
> something like CGI-Perl/1.1 is that true or am I working and to dumb
> to know it?

  Nope you're working. And these two below let you know that.

> # MOD_PERL = "mod_perl/2.0.1"
> # MOD_PERL_API_VERSION = "2"

  See
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/portingcompat.html#C__ENV_GATEWAY_INTERFACE__

  for more information on this.

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Problems Getting Mod Perl To Work on Windows

Posted by Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu>.
I removed that line and it started up.  And when I ran my test script at
the following location

/ir/test.pl

(this script echos out the envronment variables)  I get the following
output  It was my understanding that GATEWAY_INTERFACE should say
something like CGI-Perl/1.1 is that true or am I working and to dumb to
know it?

Output:
# COMSPEC = "C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe"
# DOCUMENT_ROOT = "C:/apache/htdocs"
# GATEWAY_INTERFACE = "CGI/1.1"
# HTTP_ACCEPT =
"text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5"
# HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET = "ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7"
# HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING = "gzip,deflate"
# HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE = "en-us,en;q=0.5"
# HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL = "no-cache"
# HTTP_CONNECTION = "keep-alive"
# HTTP_HOST = "server.bulls.com:8080"
# HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE = "300"
# HTTP_PRAGMA = "no-cache"
# HTTP_USER_AGENT = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;
rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7"
# MOD_PERL = "mod_perl/2.0.1"
# MOD_PERL_API_VERSION = "2"
# PATH =
"C:\Perl\bin\;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Easy Software
Products\HTMLDOC\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\BINN;C:\Program
Files\SecureCRT\;c:\cygwin\bin;C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Executive
Software\Diskeeper\;C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32"
# PATHEXT = ".COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH"
# QUERY_STRING = ""
# REMOTE_ADDR = "192.168.1.200"
# REMOTE_PORT = "2462"
# REQUEST_METHOD = "GET"
# REQUEST_URI = "/ir/test.pl"
# SCRIPT_FILENAME = "C:/apache/ir/test.pl"
# SCRIPT_NAME = "/ir/test.pl"
# SERVER_ADDR = "192.168.1.200"
# SERVER_ADMIN = "admin@bulls.com"
# SERVER_NAME = "server.bulls.com"
# SERVER_PORT = "8080"
# SERVER_PROTOCOL = "HTTP/1.1"
# SERVER_SIGNATURE = "
Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_apreq2-20050712/2.1.3-dev mod_perl/2.0.1
Perl/v5.8.7 Server at server.bulls.com Port 8080

\n"
# SERVER_SOFTWARE = "Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_apreq2-20050712/2.1.3-dev
mod_perl/2.0.1 Perl/v5.8.7"
# SystemRoot = "C:\WINNT"
# WINDIR = "C:\WINNT"

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Troy Bull wrote:

> Here is a bit more info  my httpd.conf where I load the mod perl :
>
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"
> LoadFile "c:/apache/Server/Apache2/bin/libapreq2.dll"
> LoadModule apreq_module modules/mod_apreq2.so
>
> PerlModule Apache2

In the current mod_perl 2 (which the Win32 ppm package is
based on), there is no Apache2.pm; see
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/rename.html

--
best regards,
randy kobes

Re: Problems Getting Mod Perl To Work on Windows

Posted by Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu>.
Here is a bit more info  my httpd.conf where I load the mod perl :

LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"
LoadFile "c:/apache/Server/Apache2/bin/libapreq2.dll"
LoadModule apreq_module modules/mod_apreq2.so

PerlModule Apache2

-----------------------------
where I configure my directory

Alias /ir/ "C:/apache/ir/"

<Directory "C:/apache/ir/">
    SetHandler perl-script
      Options +ExecCGI
    PerlSendHeader On
    Allow from all
</Directory>

the error log after I try to start apache

[Tue Oct 04 13:24:00 2005] [error] Can't load Perl module Apache2 for
server server.bulls.com:8080, exiting...

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks
troy

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.