Posted to notifications@jclouds.apache.org by Everett Toews <no...@github.com> on 2014/03/06 16:40:12 UTC

[jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

You can merge this Pull Request by running:

  git pull https://github.com/rackerlabs/jclouds-site meetup-post

Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:

  https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62

-- Commit Summary --

  * Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup

-- File Changes --

    A _posts/2014-03-04-jclouds-meetup.md (42)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62.patch
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62.diff

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #210](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/210/) SUCCESS
This pull request looks good

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36909762

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
Discovered two typos, please commit after fixing.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36920399

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
Merged and deployed.

http://jclouds.apache.org/blog/2014/03/04/jclouds-meetup/

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36935632

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #213](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/213/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36934347

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation at [0:40 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=40m00s) on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.
> +
> +At [1:09 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=69m0s) we made a toast to Ignasi Barrera‎ for his work in kicking off the jclouds website redesign. Thanks Ignassi! And thanks to everyone who helped make it a reality!
> +
> +## Discussion
> +
> +Then we had a good talk about the future of jclouds. A few interesting points came out of the discussion.
> +
> +1. It's time to seriously considering dropping support for Java 6. Java 6 is officialy end-of-life and has been a security bug ridden mess for Java. It's time to move on. We agreed on a rough plan of action to move forward.
> +    1. Reach out to users. A blog post dedicated to the topic and sending out an email and tweets to get user feedback.
> +    1. The last branch to have support for Java 1.6 will be a long lived branch, effectively indefinite. We will backport crucial bug fixes and do releases on the branch but no new features will be added to it.
> +    1. The exact timing and releases in which these things happen have yet to be decided on.
> +1. There was concern expressed by the Maginatics team over the performance impact of the RestAnnotationProcessor for BlobStore intensive work.
> +    1. In his presentation, Gaul mentioned that Maginatics had discovered that the overhead of reflection call in the RestAnnotationProcessor were causing what should have been I/O intensive work to also be CPU bound.
> +    1. The Maginstics team was interested in experimenting with alternatives to the RestAnnotationProcessor.

typo: Maginatics

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10353829

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
:+1:

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36911517

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://6674bc17d97151d610b4-f8070c0f3889f64c9275ab25b66baaed.r9.cf1.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36900694

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #211](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/211/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36918979

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Phillips <no...@github.com>.
> +title: jclouds Meetup
> +author: <a href="https://twitter.com/everett_toews">Everett Toews</a>
> +comments: true
> +---
> +
> +Last night we held a jclouds meetup at Cloudera offices in San Francisco. It was a well attended meetup and there were a number of new faces along with our more regular group of attendees. We recorded the whole thing with Google Hangouts on Air and you can get to know everyone in the first 5 minutes!
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an introduction to jclouds at [0:04 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=3m50s). I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation at [0:40 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=40m00s) on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.
> +
> +At [1:09 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=69m0s) we made a toast to Ignasi Barrera‎ for his work in kicking off the jclouds website redesign. Thanks Ignassi! And thanks to everyone who helped make it a reality!

[typo] "Ignasi"?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10367098

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Phillips <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +1. It's time to seriously considering dropping support for Java 6. Java 6 is officially end-of-life and has been a security bug ridden mess for Java. It's time to move on. We agreed on a rough plan of action to move forward.
> +    1. Reach out to users. A blog post dedicated to the topic and sending out an email and tweets to get user feedback.
> +    1. The last branch to have support for Java 1.6 will be a long lived branch, effectively indefinite. We will backport crucial bug fixes and do releases on the branch but no new features will be added to it.
> +    1. The exact timing and releases in which these things happen have yet to be decided on.
> +1. There was concern expressed by the Maginatics team over the performance impact of the RestAnnotationProcessor for BlobStore intensive work.
> +    1. In his presentation, Gaul mentioned that Maginatics had discovered that the overhead of reflection call in the RestAnnotationProcessor were causing what should have been I/O intensive work to also be CPU bound.
> +    1. The Maginatics team was interested in experimenting with alternatives to the RestAnnotationProcessor.
> +    1. This experimentation could be achieved by supporting a new BlobStore provider or altering a seldom used BlobStore provider with a new way of making the HTTP calls.
> +1. There was also some interest in creating a compatibility matrix of what features cloud providers offer and what subset of those features jclouds supported.
> +    1. Andrew Gaul offered to create such a matrix for BlobStore providers.
> +    1. Andrew Bayer offered to create such a matrix for ComputeService providers.
> +
> +## Next
> +
> +Next up, you can find jclouds at SXSW Interactive at the [Cloud Portability Workshop with Multi-Cloud Toolkits](https://sup.sxsw.com/schedule/IAP17712). You can also find us at ApacheCon in the [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://apacheconnorthamerica2014.sched.org/event/50669b4904135c2ee7c755b923120ab3), [Taming the Cloud Database with Apache jclouds](http://apacheconnorthamerica2014.sched.org/event/7a27f693d6c64f946568eb3ee4fd6354), and [Enabling Walkup Contributions to Your Project Documentation](http://apacheconnorthamerica2014.sched.org/event/8032b496d174c581fbf8f43dd3526e1e) sessions. Hope to see you there!

That's one scary picture there, @everett-toews :-)

![image](https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/223702/2352267/abd4ea1e-a587-11e3-9c74-ffe788568ed4.png)

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10367155

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an Introduction to jclouds. I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.
> +
> +At [1:09 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=69m0s) we made a toast to Ignasi Barrera‎ for his work in kicking off the jclouds website redesign. Thanks Ignassi! And thanks to everyone who helped make it a reality!
> +
> +## Discussion
> +
> +Then we had a good talk about the future of jclouds. A few interesting points came out of the discussion.
> +
> +1. It's time to seriously considering dropping support for Java 1.6. 6? Java 6 is officialy end-of-life and has been a security bug ridden mess for Java. It's time to move on. We agreed on a rough plan of action to move forward.

Nope. Fixed.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10349842

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
That still wouldn't make it unique. ;)

I think just having the usual date on the post is okay for uniqueness.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36929368

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://cd4252f4e028ab05640c-f88e9c287d88d221952d70ad133100b5.r93.cf1.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36919215

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #212](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/212/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36926645

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an Introduction to jclouds. I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.
> +
> +At [1:09 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=69m0s) we made a toast to Ignasi Barrera‎ for his work in kicking off the jclouds website redesign. Thanks Ignassi! And thanks to everyone who helped make it a reality!
> +
> +## Discussion
> +
> +Then we had a good talk about the future of jclouds. A few interesting points came out of the discussion.
> +
> +1. It's time to seriously considering dropping support for Java 1.6. 6? Java 6 is officialy end-of-life and has been a security bug ridden mess for Java. It's time to move on. We agreed on a rough plan of action to move forward.

Is the `6?` intended to be there?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10347655

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Perhaps change the title to "jclouds meetup at Cloudera", to identify which meetup it references to?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36928126

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Thanks for the post and summary of the meetup!

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36903797

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an introduction to jclouds at [0:04 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=3m50s). I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation at [0:40 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=40m00s) on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.
> +
> +At [1:09 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=69m0s) we made a toast to Ignasi Barrera‎ for his work in kicking off the jclouds website redesign. Thanks Ignassi! And thanks to everyone who helped make it a reality!
> +
> +## Discussion
> +
> +Then we had a good talk about the future of jclouds. A few interesting points came out of the discussion.
> +
> +1. It's time to seriously considering dropping support for Java 6. Java 6 is officialy end-of-life and has been a security bug ridden mess for Java. It's time to move on. We agreed on a rough plan of action to move forward.

typo: officially

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10353800

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://2b39fc85bdaae8a91e59-8415a41d699d4340038faedd6aff16d4.r60.cf1.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36910048

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #209](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/209/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36900414

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://0502465952a9f99f9f71-c4441e6c51de7eb05e28a3972e547114.r28.cf1.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36926922

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
@andrewgaul @abayer Would like to get your reviews here as I'm using your names in the Discussion section.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62#issuecomment-36900449

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
> +---
> +layout: post
> +title: jclouds Meetup
> +author: <a href="https://twitter.com/everett_toews">Everett Toews</a>
> +comments: true
> +---
> +
> +Last night we held a jclouds meetup at Cloudera offices in San Francisco. It was a well attended meetup and there were a number of new faces along with our more regular group of attendees. We recorded the whole thing with Google Hangouts on Air and you can get to know everyone in the first 5 minutes!
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an Introduction to jclouds. I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.

Done.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10353201

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
> +---
> +layout: post
> +title: jclouds Meetup
> +author: <a href="https://twitter.com/everett_toews">Everett Toews</a>
> +comments: true
> +---
> +
> +Last night we held a jclouds meetup at Cloudera offices in San Francisco. It was a well attended meetup and there were a number of new faces along with our more regular group of attendees. We recorded the whole thing with Google Hangouts on Air and you can get to know everyone in the first 5 minutes!
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an Introduction to jclouds. I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.

Can you add links to the beginning of both of our presentations, like the one for @nacx below?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10350544

Re: [jclouds-site] Post about the 2014-03-04 Meetup (#62)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
> +title: jclouds Meetup
> +author: <a href="https://twitter.com/everett_toews">Everett Toews</a>
> +comments: true
> +---
> +
> +Last night we held a jclouds meetup at Cloudera offices in San Francisco. It was a well attended meetup and there were a number of new faces along with our more regular group of attendees. We recorded the whole thing with Google Hangouts on Air and you can get to know everyone in the first 5 minutes!
> +
> +<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8nuON0zGVJI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
> +
> +## Presentations
> +
> +I kicked things off with an Introduction to jclouds. I'll be giving this presentation at ApacheCon on April 7, 2014 and wanted to take this opportunity to practice it in front of a captive audience. You can find my presentation slides at [Introduction to Apache jclouds](http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/introduction-to-apache-jclouds).
> +
> +Next up was Andrew Gaul from Maginatics with an informative presentation on [Apache jclouds at Maginatics](http://gaul.org/talks/jclouds-at-maginatics/). I personally learned a lot from Andrew's presentation like the wide variety of differences amongst object storage providers. The engineering work that Gaul and the team from Maginatics have done around the BlobStore portable API in jclouds is impressive.
> +
> +At [1:09 of the meetup](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuON0zGVJI&t=69m0s) we made a toast to Ignasi Barrera‎ for his work in kicking off the jclouds website redesign. Thanks Ignassi! And thanks to everyone who helped make it a reality!

:beers: :beers: :exclamation:

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/62/files#r10347612