Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by webdev1977 <we...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/29 20:50:13 UTC

Finally got hadoop + nutch 1.3 + cygwin cluster working! ? now

I finally got a three machine cluster working with nutch 1.3, hadoop 0.20.0
and cygwin!  I have a few questions about configuration.

I am only going to be crawling a few domains and I need this cluster to be
very fast.  Right now it is slower using hadoop in distributed mode then
using just the local crawl.  I am *guessing* that is due to the network
overhead?   It is very, very slow.

What settings in mapred-site.xml and hdfs-site.xml might make my crawl
faster?  Seems like the crawldb update takes the longest.  I was digging
around in the hadoop documentation and the following seemed like good
settings:

mapred.reduce.tasks = <2 x slave processors>
mapred.map.tasks = <10 x the number of slave processors>

increase mapred.child.opts memory

Any thing else I am missing?  What about running another crawl cycle
immediately after the first generate is complete? Would that cause problem
with concurrency and updating files/dbs?

Re: Finally got hadoop + nutch 1.3 + cygwin cluster working! ? now

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
> I finally got a three machine cluster working with nutch 1.3, hadoop 0.20.0
> and cygwin!  I have a few questions about configuration.

Glad to hear!

> I am only going to be crawling a few domains and I need this cluster to be
> very fast.  Right now it is slower using hadoop in distributed mode then
> using just the local crawl.  I am *guessing* that is due to the network
> overhead?   It is very, very slow.

You need to know which component is slow, parse? fetch? update? etc. Keep in
mind that HDFS replicates blocks, that takes signifcant I/O.

> What settings in mapred-site.xml and hdfs-site.xml might make my crawl
> faster?

Impossible to tell.

> Seems like the crawldb update takes the longest.

Perhaps you filter and normalize in that step? You might not need to as
parsing already does it.

> I was digging
> around in the hadoop documentation and the following seemed like good
> settings:

Good defaults on most systems

> mapred.reduce.tasks = <2 x slave processors>
> mapred.map.tasks = <10 x the number of slave processors>
>
> increase mapred.child.opts memory

Only if you run out of memory.

> Any thing else I am missing?  What about running another crawl cycle
> immediately after the first generate is complete? Would that cause problem
> with concurrency and updating files/dbs?

Yes although there's an option to solve that. Better generate many segments in
one go.