Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2009/04/04 09:21:54 UTC

New sandbox project -- Apache Commons (Portable) Runtime

Hi all

This is not official project manifest, just few things
so I can gather info weather the project has any chance
to settle in the commons at the first place.

The project is completely different from other
commons projects, because it contains platform native
code beside java api.

The idea is to evolve the Tomcat Native to a
standalone component. It is used by Apache Tomcat
and Apache Mina projects, so we have two TLP
projects already using it.
And my plan is to use this component inside
daemons project for common platform tasks.

The java part will also have a special native
library dynamic runtime, allowing the native
module(s) to exist in the same jar and gets
extracted at runtime depending on the JVM platform
with all internal native dependencies resolved,
thus liberating the user from .dll hell.

So, thumbs up or down to pursue this, or do I
need to find a different settlement :)

Regards
--
^(TM)

Re: New sandbox project -- Apache Commons (Portable) Runtime

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1 welcome!

Phil

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Good ideas

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. Who currently works on the Tomcat code and are they happy
for it to come here as well. Also has there been any interest from

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
+1 to the idea. Go for it :)

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
+1

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> This sounds good to me as an initiative.
> I am bit worried with the title apr (or is it acr?) since it overlaps a
> lot with apache httpd's apr (which is widespread in many distributions
> as one of the bases of httpd).

I thought the name should be (Apache Commons Runtime).
The short project name is just 'runtime' under commons.

Why runtime?
Eg. JDK comes with Runtime.exec()
However project will allow things like running the process
under different user credentials, getting its pid.
Getting the uid/gid of the running JVM, cpu utilization,
system memory profile, listing process and process modules, etc.
Of course process is just one set of objects.

Majority of those things is already in Tomcat Native, but
no one knows it's there. Everyone thinks its just one
of the Tomcat connectors, while with high level api it
can do great things not possible with java (at least
not without spawning the shell for creating a symlink
for example)

> Wouldn't ajr be better a term since it's about a java binding?
> Is tomcat native something really specific to apache httpd?
> What about aprj or japr then?

The point is that like any commons project the Java
package name carries the project name,
so apache.commons.runtime in this case is the name
that would perfectly contain classes like Cpu
User, Group, Process, ProcesIterator, Memory, NetworkAdapter,
TcpConnetion, Socket, etc.
And even some platfrom specific things like windows.Registry and
Service management classes, to name a few.

Regards

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
This sounds good to me as an initiative.
I am bit worried with the title apr (or is it acr?) since it overlaps
a lot with apache httpd's apr (which is widespread in many
distributions as one of the bases of httpd).

Wouldn't ajr be better a term since it's about a java binding?
Is tomcat native something really specific to apache httpd?
What about aprj or japr then?

paul

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> The project is completely different from other
> commons projects, because it contains platform native
> code beside java api.

Commons Daemon already does that and seems to cover some of the same
functionality. Would it make sense to merge these codebases?

BR,

Jukka Zitting