Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/09/24 00:30:03 UTC

Re: general/1152: Apache DNS resolution backs up in named, eventually rendering server unusable.

The following reply was made to PR general/1152; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: silas@math.earlham.edu
Subject: Re: general/1152: Apache DNS resolution backs up in named, eventually         rendering server unusable.
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:08:27 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Chris Hardie wrote:

 > Thank you for your reply.
 >
 > We have resinstalled named, bind, and other related services in previous
 > attempts to solve this problem with no success.
 >
 > I realize that it would likely be a waste of your time to try to fix a
 > problem so deeply involving "foreign" software but I believe the people
 > working on it on this end have looked at many if not all of the angles and
 > come up empty handed, and so I was "hoping" it would be something in the
 > Apache code.
 >
 > Perhaps you could just tell me where to find the source where I might
 > modify the DNS lookup timeouts?

 If you do a nslookup on one of the IPs that isn't being resolved,
 does it return properly?

 You could try adding something like:

         _res.retrans = 1;
         _res.retry = 1;

 (you will probably need an #include <resolv.h> at the top of the
 file too) to the start of main() in http_main.c.  .retrans is the
 retransmission interval, retry is the # of times to retry.

 This should work if your BIND is anything near standard.

 I am not convinced this will help, though, since it should be
 eventually timing out anyway but it obviously isn't.