Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Raja Sundaram Ganesan <su...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/01 11:10:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin (incubating) version 2.13.0

Hello Zipkin Community,

This is a call for the vote to release Apache Zipkin (incubating) version
2.13.0.

The release candidates:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/zipkin/zipkin/2.13.0/

Git tag for the release:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin/tree/v2.13.0

Hash for the release tag: 7c08091d3f8b0428d1d78839d3bef0f6887746f2

Release Notes:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin/releases/tag/v2.13.0

The artifacts have been signed with Key: DA805D02, which can be found in
the keys file:

https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/zipkin/KEYS

Verification Hints:
For your convenience, the below includes a detailed how-to on verifying a
source release. Please note that this document is a
work-in-progresshttps://
cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZIPKIN/Verifying+a+Source+Release

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until the necessary number
of
votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Note:

   1. Zipkin-UI contains vendor libraries which will be removed during the
   incubation
   2. If you're using the verification tool. There are some glitches
   including the prompt for GitHub username and password, error messages for
   images, dependency-reduced-pom.xml which has an open issue[1]

Thanks,
The Apache Zipkin (Incubating) Team

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin/issues/2553

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin (incubating) version 2.13.0

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I checked
Source archive has incubating
* DISCLAIMER looks good
* LICENSE and NOTICE looks fine to me
* No binary files in the release.
* I can Build the source artifact with command "mvn -DskipTests
--also-make -pl zipkin-server clean install"

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@apache.org>.
fixed all the things (but 1) mentioned, Ignasi. Some were very old README glitches (pre ASF). There's only one thing which I suspect not a blocker, but I did want to follow up on. forked a thread on that here https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a7a9d52b91128a932329448a3fda62a077a6c94ccfec0e734ef30722@%3Cdev.zipkin.apache.org%3E

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the close review and all the notes, Ignasi. We have some kinks
in the Apache website publishing but they should be fixed shortly (then all
the links changed). Expect all notes addressed before our follow up release
of 2.14.

cheers!
-Adrian

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
+1, binding, I have checked

Posted by Jorge Quilcate <qu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Checked:

* Source archive has expected name
* SHA512 checksum is correct
* Provided GPG key is in KEYS file
* GPG signature is valid, made with the provided key
* Base dir in archive has expected name
* Git tree at provided revision matches source archive
* DISCLAIMER and NOTICE look good
* LICENSE looks good
* No binary files in the release.

by running verification tool, I get the following message:

[PASS] Source archive has expected name
[PASS] SHA512 checksum is correct
[PASS] Provided GPG key is in KEYS file
[PASS] GPG signature is valid, made with the provided key
[PASS] Base dir in archive has expected name
[FAIL] Git tree at provided revision matches source archive
/tmp/tmpcluevq0k/git/incubator-zipkin.git/.github is only in the git checkout
/tmp/tmpcluevq0k/unzipped/zipkin-2.13.0/zipkin/dependency-reduced-pom.xml is only in the source archive
See above for a full output of diff.
[FAIL] No .gitignore-d files in source archive
Executing `shopt -s globstar; ! git check-ignore **` in /tmp/tmpcluevq0k/unzipped/zipkin-2.13.0 exited with non-zero status code 1. See above for output. (Note that the command was run under `set -euo pipefail`)
[PASS] DISCLAIMER and NOTICE look good
[PASS] LICENSE looks good
[FAIL] No binary files in the release
Executing `diff <(echo -n) <(find /tmp/tmpcluevq0k/unzipped/zipkin-2.13.0 -type f | xargs file | grep -v text | cut -f1 -d:)` exited with non-zero status code 1. See above for output. (Note that the command was run under `set -euo pipefail`)
Error: Found 3 problems.

But as far as I know:
- .github/ is ok to filter and zipkin/dependency-reduced-pom.xml ok to have in source dist.
- Not sure gitignore is relevant for source dist neither.
- And images are been recognized as binary files, that has been validated that is ok to have them as part of the source dist as well.

Regards,
Jorge.

Posted by Zoltán Nagy <ab...@apache.org>.
+1, thank you!

Checked:

* Source archive has expected name
* SHA512 checksum is correct
* Provided GPG key is in KEYS file
* GPG signature is valid, made with the provided key
* Base dir in archive has expected name
* Git tree at provided revision matches source archive
* DISCLAIMER and NOTICE look good
* LICENSE looks good
* Source archive builds cleanly, tests pass

---

Re. verification tool:
* .github is OK to have in the source dist, I've just pushed a commit to
make the tool not complain about it.
* zipkin/dependency-reduced-pom.xml will also not trigger a warning,
pending confirmation in
https://github.com/openzipkin-contrib/apache-release-verification/pull/33
* The gitignore check is wonky, might need to just not exist; disabled for
now, tracking in
https://github.com/openzipkin-contrib/apache-release-verification/issues/32
* The binary stuff is indeed all false positives, downgraded it to say
[NOTE] instead of [FAIL] for now, tracking in
https://github.com/openzipkin-contrib/apache-release-verification/issues/31
* There are some rough edges around the repo name generation; details in
the issue linked by Raja. To make it go for now, the magic incantation is:
--zipname-template
'apache-{module}{dash_incubating}-{version}-source-release'
--github-reponame-template '{incubator_dash}{module}.git'

Posted by José Carlos Chávez <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1

[PASS] Source archive has expected name
[PASS] SHA512 checksum is correct
[PASS] Provided GPG key is in KEYS file
[PASS] GPG signature is valid, made with the provided key
[PASS] Base dir in archive has expected name
[PASS] DISCLAIMER and NOTICE look good
[PASS] LICENSE looks good

José Carlos Chávez

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.