Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Leroy Melvin <lu...@hotmail.com> on 2000/03/17 16:22:40 UTC

config/5895: Any other port number besides 80, doesn't seem to work.

>Number:         5895
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Any other port number besides 80, doesn't seem to work.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Mar 17 07:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     lunaxis@hotmail.com
>Release:        v1.3.12 win32
My ISP doesn't allow setting up servers with port numbers under 1000.  Therefore everything I set up has a port number higher than 1000.  This worked fine for my FTP server and other stuff I ran.
Apache HTTP however seems to trip over this.  If I run it at port 80, all sis fine (at least 'local').  People connected to the net not by the same ISP cannot see this page, which is normal, because all ports under 1000 aren't allowed as I already said.  Now, changing the port number to a number othen than 80 makes the web server completely not functioning !  Not even local !  I don't get an error msg, the browser (IE5.01, latest) doesn't seem to be able to find it.  Even the http://127.0.0.1 doesn't work.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Well, I'm not really a programmer, so I'm not able to make decent changes in the included source code and compile it.  Sorry... .
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]