Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Horst Rutter <ho...@objectleague.com> on 2002/05/03 07:16:40 UTC

sendmail

Can someone please fill me in on the following:

I found two ways of sending an email in Cocoon:
1) the sendmail.xsp/sendmail.xsl combo
2) the SendMailAction

Is this intentional and if so in which case would I be using which one?
Maybe this is more a general question: when would I prefer an action over using xsp if either one is available?

Horst

Re: sendmail

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 02.May.2002 -- 10:16 PM, Horst Rutter wrote:
> Can someone please fill me in on the following:
>
> I found two ways of sending an email in Cocoon:
> 1) the sendmail.xsp/sendmail.xsl combo
> 2) the SendMailAction
>
> Is this intentional and if so in which case would I be using which one?
> Maybe this is more a general question: when would I prefer an action over using xsp if either one is available?

XSP has some disadvantages as it creates poolable components without
a chance to set pooling parameters. In addition, pages become more
complicated thus more difficult for designers to work with.
OTOH, XSP easily allows complex presentation of data. Logicsheets are
an efficient way for re-use in terms of libraries.

Actions are more difficult to write than XSPs but re-use is good. With
actions it is easy to react on the outcome of an operation with is
less so with XSP.

Regarding the sendmail action, you would need to pass the text as
sitemap parameter, which prevented me from using it.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de