Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/22 11:50:02 UTC

Re: [FlexJS] IntelliJ Integration

This discussion was incredibly long and I had trouble following how to get going.

I’m trying to set myself up with FlexJS for the first time. I’d like to figure out how I can develop working off the repo so I can work on the SDK while I go. Since I’m first starting with FlexJS, I’d like to try and do so with IntelliJ rather than FB.

I took a look at the wiki and the page on using IntelliJ is empty: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+IntelliJ+IDEA

So here’s what would be helpful:

Instructions on getting going working off the source:
1) Assuming flex-asjs is checked out from the repo, what steps do I need to do to build from source to be able to use it.
2) How do I link this to FB/IntelliJ?
3) What else needs to be done?

Additionally:
1) How do you get the nightly build?
2) How do you switch targets?

Re: [FlexJS] IntelliJ Integration

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, I rushed through (mostly from memory) an update of that status page.
Give it a try and see if it works.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
IMO, if you just want to build apps on top of the libraries Mike, Fred,
Josh and the rest of the FlexJS crew are building, you won’t need to know
about externs.  You will just grab SWCs that have the right API surfaces
and code like you used to.

Right now you have at least two choices of library sets:
-FlexJS Libraries:
-Native JS Libraries

The FlexJS libraries abstract a lot of HTML and browser APIs and support
MXML and AS.  That’s what Peter and I have been primarily focused on.  You
start with a <js:Application> tag and add your widgets and HTTPService and
AS code and write and test it all in FB and now IJ as a SWF and when you
are happy with the SWF version, you cross-compile an HTML/JS/CSS version.
We have component sets that wrap Jquery components and CreateJS components
as well as the new set of widgets we are writing.  There is no
almost-Spark library yet so porting existing UI is a bit of work.

The NativeJS Libraries are created from the ‘externs’.  Here you will
write AS as if you were writing JS for an app.  You can write direct to
Jquery APIs or browser/DOM APIs but you do it in AS instead of JS.  There
is no SWF or Flash involved in the workflow at all.  This is essentially
the same thing as TypeScript.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
We looked into using d.ts files, but then found it easier to use externs
from here:

https://github.com/google/closure-compiler/wiki/Externs-For-Common-Librarie

Easel is not on the list, but it might be possible for you to create it.

-Alex

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Or this?

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
You mean this?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/22/15, 1:49 PM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 22, 2015, at 11:44 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> On 7/22/15, 1:36 PM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Makes sense.
>>>
>>> From my perspective, here’s what I’m looking to do:
>>>
>>> I have a rather large application which has a pretty clean divide
>>>between
>>> business logic and view.
>>>
>>> 1) I’m looking to adapt the business logic part so it’ll cross-compile
>>> into Javascript, pretty much as-is. I expect to have to work on some of
>>> the capabilities and classes to make them cross-compilable. XML
>>> processing is one example.
>>
>> Is there no way to convert to using JSON instead of XML?  FWIW, I’ve
>> pondered the notion of a servlet that acts like a proxy server, grabs
>>XML
>> from the actual server and converts it to JSON.
>
>The problem is I need to consume the XML and then push it back out. I’ve
>been thinking about the problem a lot and I think some normal classes
>that are reminiscent of XML and XMLList are the cleanest way to go. I’m
>probably going to punt on some of the stickier aspects of E4X, but I
>think I can get pretty far.

In my testing, XML is an order of magnitude slower and fatter than AS
classes.  I’m not expecting it to be any better on the JS side.  So,
depending on how much XML manipulation your app does, it might pay to
convert the XML to data classes before manipulation and convert back on
the way to the server, or have a proxy do some of the work for you.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

RE: AW: [FlexJS] IntelliJ Integration

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

If you not in the hurry, I will start to do the Wiki this weekend, otherwise just tell me and I will try my best to speed you up here.

Frédéric THOMAS

AW: [FlexJS] IntelliJ Integration

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I think we shouldn't add Xml-to-Pojo or Pojo-to-Json to BlazeDS as there are enough really good frameworks out there already that you can simply combine.

For Xml-to-Pojo i would feffinitely use CXF and for Pojo-to-Json the support in Spring is so seemless that I don't even remember the name of the framework.

Chris

> >1) I’m looking to adapt the business logic part so it’ll cross-compile
> >into Javascript, pretty much as-is. I expect to have to work on some of
> >the capabilities and classes to make them cross-compilable. XML
> >processing is one example.
>
> Is there no way to convert to using JSON instead of XML?  FWIW, I’ve
> pondered the notion of a servlet that acts like a proxy server, grabs XML
> from the actual server and converts it to JSON.

I am currently using libraries from BlazeDS and GraniteDS to convert XML to
POJOs to AMF and JSON for my REST based webservices server.  Adding this
functionality into BlazeDS seems like a good idea.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Om

Re: [FlexJS] IntelliJ Integration

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
This conversation probably deserves a new topic....

Mike

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense.

From my perspective, here’s what I’m looking to do:

I have a rather large application which has a pretty clean divide between business logic and view.

1) I’m looking to adapt the business logic part so it’ll cross-compile into Javascript, pretty much as-is. I expect to have to work on some of the capabilities and classes to make them cross-compilable. XML processing is one example.
2) I’d like to port the view into ActionScript which would compile to Easel.js-compatible Javascript. My understanding is that folks have already been working on the Easel.js problem.
3) I will likely be interested in using and expanding the FlexJS components as well for UI components, although straight

I expect there to be lots of gotchas along the way, but I’m prepared to get my hands dirty. Who knows maybe I’ll even learn a thing or two about the compiler (although those discussions are way over my head).

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
Harbs,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.