Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jegadisan Sankar Kumar <ko...@yahoo.com.sg> on 2003/08/17 16:38:19 UTC

Is a mailing list the best option ?

This is the first open source project that I have joined, but is there a better mechanism compared to a mailing list? Just got back, and check my mail box to find over 200 e-mails. End up having to read replies, and not knowing what the actual questions were.

  Would it be better to have a forum like environment, whereby people can track the topics being discussed, and contribute to the ones that are closest to their hearts? At the very least we can view the questions, and the replies.

  Also, maybe I need to catch up on my reading, but I seem to notice coding going on, and people starting to patch the system up. Is there any design documentation out? Use cases, sequence diagrams ? all that object oriented design stuff? Would help alot for people to get a holistic view of what is going on in the system

Regards
Jega

Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com> wrote:

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Daniel,
>
>>> Jira is alleged to be the best.
>>> http://jira.attlassian.com for those that want to play with it.
>>

>> The correct url is: http://jira.atlassian.com
>>
> Indeed. I'm also guilty of not ready Greg's posting too well, which was
> councelling to not use an issue tracker. (Sorry Greg).

I have no problem with using an issue tracker and think that we definitely
should have one.

I just don't think that it will help too much with the problem at hand
now... which is getting lots of patches into a very dynamic system with
a few task loaded committers.

cheers

Yahoo! Mobile
- Send free SMS from your PC!

Re: Is a mailing list the best option ?

Posted by Jaspreet S Jodhka <ja...@hotpop.com>.
You can also view the mailing list archives at
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=140

You'll be able to read the entire thread in your browser. This is the
closest you can get to a forum.

Jaspreet
    Yes.This list is a high volume list but this seems to be the best
solution at the moment.so lets live
with this list for some more time :)
    You can find the basic information in the wiki site at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE
If something isnt there,either u can ask in the mailing list or come up with
ur own suggestion.

Thanks
Siva

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
beside that if you just need the thread trees, you can configure
many email clients to display them (mutt, mozilla (thunderbird),
M$ entourage etc.).

tho - you have to maintain the subject lines accordingly ...

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
If you'd rather a forum style interface why not read the mail list via
your news reader on NNTP via gmane.org.

http://gmane.org/

Or if you really like web interfaces there are archives available.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=140

Currently all the documentation is on the Wiki...

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE

or on the generated website (which should move soon from my home
directory)...

http://www.apache.org/~jstrachan/geronimo/

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 03:38  pm, Jegadisan Sankar Kumar wrote:

> This is the first open source project that I have joined, but is there
> a better mechanism compared to a mailing list? Just got back, and
> check my mail box to find over 200 e-mails. End up having to read
> replies, and not knowing what the actual questions were.
>
>   Would it be better to have a forum like environment, whereby people
> can track the topics being discussed, and contribute to the ones that
> are closest to their hearts? At the very least we can view the
> questions, and the replies.
>
>   Also, maybe I need to catch up on my reading, but I seem to notice
> coding going on, and people starting to patch the system up. Is there
> any design documentation out? Use cases, sequence diagrams ? all that
> object oriented design stuff? Would help alot for people to get a
> holistic view of what is going on in the system
>
> Regards
> Jega
>

> Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com> wrote:
>

> Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Daniel,

> >> The correct url is: http://jira.atlassian.com
> >>
> > Indeed. I'm also guilty of not ready Greg's posting too well, which
> was
> > councelling to not use an issue tracker. (Sorry Greg).
>

> I have no problem with using an issue tracker and think that we
> definitely
> should have one.
>
> I just don't think that it will help too much with the problem at hand
> now... which is getting lots of patches into a very dynamic system with
> a few task loaded committers.
>
> cheers

<image.tiff>Yahoo! Mobile
> - Send free SMS from your PC!

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Is a mailing list the best option ?

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
ah ok - i just thought because there is incubator.general,
there should be incubator.geronimo-dev ...

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.
Its already there at gmane

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
just a quick note:

it would be possible to configure innd to accept
email messages from the mailing list and to send
news messages to the mailing list.

beside that there is an option which does not require
any configuration at all. just go to ...

  -> http://gmane.org/

they are offering a service similar to the one
described above, which enables one to to read/post
messages to this list via a news reader.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If you look at http://nagoya.apache.org, you'll see that there was an
experiment to use Jive forums at one point (when it was Open Source),
because they can be tied into the mailing list system.  There may also be a
news interface.  Some of that is under discussion.  The key issue is tying
into the mailing list as the core mechanism.  NNTP allows that, as did Jive.