Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2009/05/05 22:23:16 UTC

How about targetting a "release"?

One of the main things I've seen work successfully in many project to get the
community moving as well as attract new developers/users is to get an actual
release out.    There are a lot of people that won't go through the effort of
checking out from svn, building, etc....  They want to see an actual release
to play with.

Thus, my suggestion, would be to set a date for a release (even a "milestone"
release, like a "0.1" version) and see what can be done before then.   For
example, maybe target June 30th, see what can be put in before then, and kind
of run with it.  Even if it ends up being "not much different" than what is in
SVN right now, it's at least a step forward.

Thoughts?

Are there other ideas that folks have to help get things moving again?

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: How about targetting a "release"?

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

I think this is a great idea.

Sorry for going dark this week.  We've been having a less than optimal
release with one of the projects I'm working on.  I'll re-engage next week.

Thank you very much for adding value and thinking about how to help ESME
succeed.

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Re: How about targetting a "release"?

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
I think it depends on how much work and fundamental change the "code
rewrite" would entail. If there is a lot of changes, then we might need some
sort of a code freeze.

D.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.
On 18. mai. 2009, at 20.53, Vassil Dichev wrote:

> I've been thinking myself what it would take to release a finished
> version. A release would make it easier for others to try out ESME and
> a release schedule would motivate us to focus on short-term goals.
>
> I could add ESME-53 (Access pools), and the associated feature
> requests 54-57. Access pools are a personal itch, as their absence was
> the main reason a certain micromessaging solution has been rejected in
> a team I've been in. A lot of the server functionality for access
> pools is finished and the work left is mostly related to the UI.
>
> I wasn't fully aware that HTML cleanup from the scala files is
> stopping development of the current UI. If that's the case, I should
> probably put the access pools on hold and focus on this task, so
> others are not blocked by 60-63. Is this the case?

Currently it is a show stopper.

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
I'll pull all the HTML out of the Scala code today/tonight as well as
documenting the files that I change.

Let me also see what I can do about separating the authentication out of the
User class.

Posted by Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Darren,

Posted by Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petteroe <yo...@gmail.com>.
My wishlist for a release in June would be:

#52 Add types of authentication besides OpenID
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-52

#16  Unifying server calls (JSON-related)

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.