Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.INVALID> on 2019/08/10 20:50:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] Integrate new SourceReader with Mailbox Model in StreamTask

Hi all,

As mentioned in FLIP-27[1], the proposed SourceReader interface is part of refactoring source interface.
AFAIK FLIP-27 has not been voted yet and might still need more time as a whole compared to the

SourceReader discussion which seems more or less converged.

We would like to start an initial progress on runtime side based on the SourceReader interface to integrate
the execution of SourceReader with existing mailbox thread model[2] in StreamTask. It is one of the steps for

finally integrating all the actions in task (processing timer, checkpoint) into unified mailbox model. The benefits

are simpler processing logics because only one single thread handles all the actions without concurrent issue,

and further getting rid of lock dependency which might cause unfair lock concern in checkpoint process.

We still need to support the legacy source in some releases which would probably be used for a while, especially
for the scenario of performance concern.

Welcome any feedbacks or comments in design doc[3].

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-27%3A+Refactor+Source+Interface
[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eDpsUKv2FqwZiS1Pm6gYO5eFHScBHfULKmH1-ZEWB4g/edit
[3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/13x9M7k1SRqkOFXP0bETcJemIRyJzoqGgkdy11pz5qHM/edit?usp=sharing

Best,
Zhijiang

Re: [DISCUSS] Integrate new SourceReader with Mailbox Model in StreamTask

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 as well. starting the work in parallel may also give some insights on
whether some additional API on SourceReader is needed in order to support
the interaction between SourceReader and runtime.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.