Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2007/06/05 18:00:59 UTC

Newbie Maven question

Hi,

please excuse the newbie Maven question...:

How are dependencies between things in the Jackrabbit source tree meant
to work?

For instance, contrib/jcr-navigator wants jackrabbit-core version
1.1-SNAPSHOT, which I can't (?) build from trunk, nor is available from
repo1.maven.org.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Newbie Maven question

Posted by Edgar Poce <ed...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/07, Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Christoph Kiehl wrote:
> > Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> >> For instance, contrib/jcr-navigator wants jackrabbit-core version
> >> 1.1-SNAPSHOT, which I can't (?) build from trunk, nor is available
> >> from repo1.maven.org.
> >
> > repo1.maven.org doesn't host SNAPSHOT dependencies. AFAIK Jackrabbit
> > SNAPSHOT dependencies are hosted by this repository:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/
> >
> > But in this repository there is no 1.1-SNAPSHOT version. Since the
> > reason for using a SNAPSHOT version is most likely to become aware of
> > integration problems early it makes almost no sense to use 1.1-SNAPSHOT
> > here. I would use either a stable version like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 or use the
> > current snapshot which is 1.4-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Understood. So these contrib projects probably just need to be updated
> to require 1.4-SNAPSHOT, right?

You should probably change it to 1.1, jcr-navigator project uses some
classes from jcr-server that changed in the next versions.

Re: Newbie Maven question

Posted by Christoph Kiehl <ch...@sulu3000.de>.
Julian Reschke wrote:

>> But in this repository there is no 1.1-SNAPSHOT version. Since the
>> reason for using a SNAPSHOT version is most likely to become aware of
>> integration problems early it makes almost no sense to use
>> 1.1-SNAPSHOT here. I would use either a stable version like 1.1, 1.2,
>> 1.3 or use the current snapshot which is 1.4-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Understood. So these contrib projects probably just need to be updated
> to require 1.4-SNAPSHOT, right?

Yes, that should do the job. If you then just do a "mvn install" in the project
root all the deps like "api", "core" etc. should be installed into your local
repository, thus making it unnecessary to add the repository section to your
pom.xml/settings.xml I mentioned in my last mail.

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: Newbie Maven question

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Re: Newbie Maven question

Posted by Christoph Kiehl <ch...@sulu3000.de>.
Julian Reschke wrote:

> For instance, contrib/jcr-navigator wants jackrabbit-core version
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT, which I can't (?) build from trunk, nor is available from
> repo1.maven.org.

repo1.maven.org doesn't host SNAPSHOT dependencies. AFAIK Jackrabbit SNAPSHOT
dependencies are hosted by this repository:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/

But in this repository there is no 1.1-SNAPSHOT version. Since the reason for
using a SNAPSHOT version is most likely to become aware of integration problems
early it makes almost no sense to use 1.1-SNAPSHOT here. I would use either a
stable version like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 or use the current snapshot which is 1.4-SNAPSHOT.

To use the snapshot versions you have to add the following section to the
pom.xml or your local settings.xml:

<repositories>
   <repository>
       <id>apache.snapshots</id>
       <name>Apache Development Repository</name>
<url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
     </repository>
   </repositories>

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: Newbie Maven question

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 6/5/07, Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
> For instance, contrib/jcr-navigator wants jackrabbit-core version
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT, which I can't (?) build from trunk, nor is available from
> repo1.maven.org.

As you noticed, the contrib subtree lives outside the main Jackrabbit
build system. Since the contrib components are not included in
Jackrabbit releases there isn't much effort in keeping their code or
build scripts up to date at all times.

You are of course free to update any contrib components if and when
you need them. Also, once a component in contrib starts seeing more
active use it makes sense to promote it into a release component and
to integrate it with the main build system. All release components
will be kept up to date with latest changes on a regular basis since
they all get built and tested at least whenever there's a new release.

BR,

Jukka Zitting