Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Pradeep Kamath <pr...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/08/13 19:19:21 UTC

Question about hive locking

Hi,
  Reading through http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/Locking, it appears that locking will be implemented using Zookeeper in the Query language - just wanted to confirm that the metastore APIs are not being modified and that there is no information about existing locks in the metastore - is this correct? If so, won't a thrift API call circumvent existing locks and gain read/write access? Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Pradeep

Re: Question about hive locking

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
On Aug 13, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Pradeep Kamath wrote:

> Hi,
>  Reading through http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/Locking, it appears that locking will be implemented using Zookeeper in the Query language - just wanted to confirm that the metastore APIs are not being modified and that there is no information about existing locks in the metastore - is this correct? If so, won't a thrift API call circumvent existing locks and gain read/write access? Did I miss something?

That's correct.  The locking is all from the Hive client side.  We want the locks to be released automatically if a client dies, and doing it from within the metastore thrift server wouldn't give us that.

You can also circumvent the locks by going directly to HDFS through any non-Hive means...we can't stop that.

JVS