Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> on 2022/10/10 15:19:30 UTC

[jxpath] reported CVE and path forward

Howdy folks,

I recently saw that there was a reported CVE[1] for Apache JXPath that became public due to no response to the reporter over 90 days. I am uncertain if the reporter had tried reaching out to the appropriate security lists before-hand and was ignored, or failed to follow our established procedures. Regardless, the issue is now public.

I have not personally verified the vulnerability, nor assessed the impact. NIST thinks it is a Big Deal, though, scoring it 9.8/10 [2]

It is hard to assess impact since the project does not publish artifacts to maven central, but I'm also taking that as an indicator of low adoption at this point in time. Further, the project has not had a release since 2015. There has been very limited mailing list activity, and the last 5 years of commits have only been typo/comment fixes.

If there is no community around it, is there a path to retirement? What are the next steps?

Thanks,
Mike

[1]: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/oss-fuzz/issues/detail?id=47133
[2]: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-41852

Re: [jxpath] reported CVE and path forward

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I commented in another thread about oss-fuzz and new components, maybe that
could be part of the issue here.

See that thread in the archives, or TL;DR: someone is adding more Commons
Components to oss-fuzz, directly as components instead of using the shared
apache-commons project. This latter project in oss-fuzz has a custom policy
for reporting issues that is aligned with the ASF process. No idea what is
the policy of these new oss-fuzz components, who created them, nor if
anyone in ASF is being notified (I monitor the project-commons issues,
especially those for imaging).

https://github.com/google/oss-fuzz/tree/master/projects/ (see
apache-commons)

I **think** the only people being notified of issues are those in the
project.yaml file, e.g.
https://github.com/google/oss-fuzz/blob/master/projects/apache-commons-jxpath/project.yaml

It looks like whoever set up that project in oss-fuzz decided to send
notifications only to @code-intelligence emails, which is not very
practical.

-Bruno

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.